Views
Helpful
Replies

change auto-negotiation port capabilities

Pieter Verbert
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Is there any way to change the advertised port-capabilites during auto-negotiation?

Ex: let a 10/100/1000 interface only negotiate 10HD/10FD/100FD (so no 1000FD)

I would use this to have gbit compatible equipment running on both ends connected with cat5 cables (they are scheduled to be replaced... in 2013...)

This feature exists on recent Nortel equipment but I have not yet discoverd how to do this using cisco IOS.

Kind regards

Pieter

3 Replies 3

Antonio Knox
Level 7
Level 7

I'm not aware of any setting that would exclusively disable specific speed/duplex capabilities.  What are you looking to do with this type of configuration?

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Yes on newer codes on the ports you can use the "speed auto 10 100 1000 command to restrict the ports .  Say for instance if you don't want it negotiate higher then 100 meg then you would use  "speed auto 10 100 "  on the port.  If you want gigabit  it will automatically negotiate 1000 as long as your cabling is good as gig needs 4 good pairs of wires to run.  This would be on your newer type switches, 3750,3560,4500,6500  that have 10/100/100 interfaces .

That's good to know, Glenn.  I wasn't aware of that.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card