cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

changes to enable password and username commands in version 16 code

bberry
Level 1
Level 1

Question. Can anyone point me in the direction of documentation around the deprecation of formats for the username and enable password formats? I am starting to configured a new 9300 series switch running version 16 code and when I past in my standard config I get a warning on both my enable password line and all my user name lines. The enable password comes back with the warning about me entering the password with type 0 and an unencrypted password. The Username warning complains about the type 7 when I past them in. Both messages say I need to migrate to a supported password type. I just do not know where to go see what the new supported type should be. I though it might just be a format type things as all the same commands are there but that did not seem to matter.

Brent

1 Reply 1

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There is a change.  Have a look at this link:

Password type 0 and 7 are replaced with password type 8 and type 9 respectively. So password type 0 and 7, which were used for administrator login to the console, Telnet, SSH, webUI, and NETCONF must be migrated to password type 8 or 9.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst9500/software/release/16-11/configuration_guide/sec/b_1611_sec_9500_cg/controlling_switch_access_with_passwords_and_privilege_levels.html#concept_AA16FD4155AA4362B3A304AFB29AE4F3

HTH

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card