Views
Helpful
Replies

Changing switch IP address (3850)

gdg230001
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

A (hopefully) simple one - I want to remotely change the IP address of a switch I just installed. The new address is in the same vlan as the address it currently has so no need to change the gateway address.

Can I just go ahead and do this? Will I lose connection as soon as I change the address on the SVI, or will this only happen after a reboot?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Diana Karolina Rojas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You will lose connectivity if you are connected to the same SVI you want to change. You can configure another SVI and connect it via ssh, after that change the IP of the other SVI If you do not want to lose conectivity. That SVI is the only one in your Switch?

---Do not forget to rate useful answers---

Regards,

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

Just so your aware you can make the change and see what happens and have it roll back auto on ios-xe if there is an issue and your kicked out

instead of just conf t you would do the below and set the timer to 5 minutes , make your change and if it fails it will roll back the config to previous before timer is set , I use it when making remote changes to circuits just incase , its better than a reload in x command to get you backonline  , only available in ios-xe not ios , if it doesn't kick you out save the changes

conf t revert  timer 5

all in this doc

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/config-mgmt/configuration/15-sy/config-mgmt-15-sy-book/cm-config-rollback-confirmed-change.html

Diana Karolina Rojas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You will lose connectivity if you are connected to the same SVI you want to change. You can configure another SVI and connect it via ssh, after that change the IP of the other SVI If you do not want to lose conectivity. That SVI is the only one in your Switch?

---Do not forget to rate useful answers---

Regards,

If you the new IP is under the same network and SVI you will lost communication (because you have replaced the management IP) but you can log in again using the new one, also no changes is required for ip default-gateway, you can keep it. 

:-)

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card