Views
Helpful
Replies

channel-group Port down - recover?

Hubsi-Smith
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,
maybe it is a simple question but I am still at the beginning learing into Cisco environment.

Okey, We use on our 3750 switch a lot of port channels.

All are configured like:

channel-group XX mode on

That work fine for over 2 years. Today i figured out that one multimode port, member  of a port channel went down. The connection to this switch is still alive. At the port status command I can see that the GBICs are still there. So I suggest that on the first step I would replace the cable.

But what steps are necessary, when I replace the cable, must I shutdown the ports on one or both side of the switch.

Or could I remove the cable and plug-in the new one when both ports are up?

Which step is right?

Best regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You should not lose connectivity at all since the other physical interface is working, but it is a good idea to do it during off-hours just in case there is a short blip

HTH

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

If this is a production environment, the safest way to do it is to shut down the port on both sides, replace the cable, and then un-shut the port.

HTH

Hello,

thank you for your answer.

When I bring the back both ports, is the port-channel always active or will I loss network connectivity for a while?

Yes, it is in production environment and I have no spare equipment for testing

You should not lose connectivity at all since the other physical interface is working, but it is a good idea to do it during off-hours just in case there is a short blip

HTH

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card