Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 1841 Support for Etherchannlel

sandeep28585
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I just want to know whether Cisco 1841 platform routes does support ether channel and if yes which IOS code.

Please share your suggestions. 

13 Replies 13

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

router ports themselves don't support the ethercannels , do you have any switch modules in the router ? although I don't think the hwic 4esw supports them either

Thanks Mark,right now we dont have any switch module installed on the router.If we install the module suggested by you can we create any type of port-channeling.

Hi, 

Please check this link:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/2600-series-multiservice-platforms/prod_qas0900aecd802a9470.html

Not really sure if there is a module for 1841. 

ADDITIONAL FEATURES

Q. Do the Cisco EtherSwitch devices support Cisco EtherChannel ® technology?

A. The Cisco EtherSwitch network modules and service modules support Cisco EtherChannel technology, including the Gigabit Ethernet ports. Up to eight ports with the same speed and duplex can be aggregated into a single channel group. The Cisco EtherSwitch HWICs do not support Cisco EtherChannel technology. If both a network module and an HWIC are used, the network module interfaces can be configured for Cisco EtherChannel technology, but those on the HWIC cannot.

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

I also had a look and found the above card is having L3 capability but i cant found anything related to port-channel.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/2800-series-integrated-services-routers-isr/product_data_sheet0900aecd80581fe6.html

I really don't think the 1800s support this at all on any available current mods  , is this for throughput or resiliency your doing this , as if its resiliency you could still have 2 link but keep one in failover ready using STP or flex link as backup

Yep, apparently the HWIC cards dont support etherchannel. 

Check this link:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/10118761/etherchannel-configuration-1841-router

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

On the following link you can see the hardward supported per router

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/2800-series-integrated-services-routers-isr/prod_qas0900aecd80169bd6.html

Hope it is useful 

Thanks Julio.Another thing i want to clear can i use this module for L3 P2P link as i understood the ports on this module are routed port.

I have a requirement where i have to propose a solution for the access layer .The issue is we have only single WAN router and we are looking for a solution for two resilient CORE/Distribution layer switches and below will be access layer .Currently the WAN CE router only having two Ethernet ports one was utilized b/w PE and CE router connectivity.The below three solution come in my mind but only issue i am  facing because of the 1841 hardware.An suggestion which solution would be good

Solution 1:

• Build Core switches in Stack
  • Enable single P2P L3 link b/w Core and CE devices
  • Enable all the SVIs on the CORE switches
  • Enable default route for all the subnets towards Core
  • Extend L2 vlans towards the access switches

Solution 2:

• Build core switches separately not in stack
  • Enable P2P L3 link b/w Core and CE devices
  • Enable SVIs on the CORE switches
  • Enable HSRP b/w CORE switches
  • Run OSPF b/w CORE and CE devices

Solution 3:

• Build Core switches in Stack
  • Create sub interfaces on the CORE router
  • Enable 802.1Q tagging
  • Extend L2 vlans towards the access switches

Hi,

We are talking about HWIC-4ESW module, right?

Please check this link:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/10540381/installing-and-configuring-ip-address-hwic-4esw-interface

:-)

Thanks both for your suggestions.One more query is can i create SVI with HWIC-4ESW module on 1841 platform.

Yes you can create svis and trunk back with layer 2 module so you don't require router on a stick

Yes, that's correct.

Hi 

As Mark mentioned, this router doesn't support etherchannel, but if you are using serial interface you could enable Multilink but the amount of traffic should be considered before.

There are other routers supporting etherchannel. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card