cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2960 L missing "global config command"

keagle79
Level 1
Level 1

Just received a new 2960 L 48 port switch.  Booted for the first time and it had an enable secret password set that was not the default so I had to complete a password recovery on it.  After the password reset per instructions from this forum, I didn't get the normal question asking if I wanted to complete setup prompts, went straight to "switch>" prompt.  I typed enable and it did enter privileged mode "switch#", but there is no "Configure" command.  I can't get to global config mode.  The command isn't listed and if I type "setup" I get the following: 'No Day0 Config File Found"

Can't get any farther.  Am I out of luck and just need to get the switch replaced by the vendor?

Any advice would be helpful.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes, I found the issue. This particular line of switches has some models that are Web Interface only. No way to configure from the CLI. Very annoyed by this.

See my discussion at Spiceworks here: https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/2225656-cisco-catalyst-2960l-no-config-command

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Alan Ng'ethe
Level 3
Level 3

Can you upload the current configuration of the switch?

Remember to rate helpful posts and/or mark as a solution if your issue is resolved.

Yes, step for step. But after -

switch: boot

I never got the setup prompt "Continue with the configuration dialog? [yes/no]: N" . Went straight to the Switch> prompt, I entered "enable" and it did go to the Switch# prompt. However, when I enter "config t" it tells me that "configure" is not a valid command. If I type ? for the inline help "configure" doesn't show up in the list of commands. Global Conifg is just missing.

If I try to manually run the setup command, that is when I get the "No Day0 Config File Found" error message.

Hi
Your in rommon there with that prompt type each of the below as per the doc Reza provided , then boot the switch
why it crashed during recovery maybe another question but try get it back online with the doc

Step 1 Initialize the flash file system:
switch: flash_init

Step 2 If you had set the console port speed to anything other than 9600, it has been reset to that particular speed. Change the emulation software line speed to match that of the switch console port.

Step 3 Load any helper files:
switch: load_helper

Step 4 Display the contents of flash memory:
switch: dir flash:

I have this exact same issue on an 8-port 2960L. Did you ever get it resolved?

Same Issue here. Any resolution?

Yes, I found the issue. This particular line of switches has some models that are Web Interface only. No way to configure from the CLI. Very annoyed by this.

See my discussion at Spiceworks here: https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/2225656-cisco-catalyst-2960l-no-config-command

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card