Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2960S QoS for VoIP

Hello all, I read some papers about QoS and Im just wondering if someone could give me a hand.

The thing is that I have to implement 30 switches with QoS to connect to a lot of Cisco IP phones.

The switches are Cisco 2960S with code image "C2960S Software (C2960S-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 12.2(55)SE3".

Should I use autoQoS feature or manually configure them?.

How should I treat uplinks between access switchs and core/distribution?.

I have a lot of doubts regarding queueing, because all the info I had read its for another model/image.

Thanks in advance!

4 Replies 4

sean_evershed
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

If you are new to QoS then I suggest you use Auto QoS.

An excellent QoS design guide can be found here that discusses the 2960 switches:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/solutions/Enterprise/WAN_and_MAN/QoS_SRND_40/QoSCampus_40.html

Refer to Figure 2-13 as to how to treat the uplinks between the various tiers in the network.

I have one question. Using this type of switches (2960S) which dont have input queue involves that I should use policed traffic over the ingress queue and expedite output queue?.

Whats is the best practice for this kind of devices?, taking into account the limitations they have.

Thanks again!

I am in the same boat. All these switches yet no ingress queue's on the 2960's.
All I can do is configure egress and hope they support it in the future.
seems a little odd that it's only the 2960-s out of the whole family.

I am in the same boat. All these switches yet no ingress queue's on the 2960's.
All I can do is configure egress and hope they support it in the future.
seems a little odd that it's only the 2960-s out of the whole family.

Seems a little odd that it's only the 2960-s out of the whole family.

Did you call cisco to see if they will support it in the future?

As for me, I think they will not implement input-q ever. This is due to 2960S architecture that is fabric-based, not ring-based like 2960 was. Fabric access is full speed, non-blocking, hence you may use Shaped round-robin outgoing queues to limit traffic.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: