Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3650-48PS Switch Stacking Priority

bensservice007
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I currently have 3 cisco 3650 switches stacked and configured. I want to prioritize the switches (all currently at 1 for value) in the same role they are currently in. Below is what I'm trying to accomplish but what I'm wondering will this mess with any configuration (vlans on ports, access port, trunk ports, ect) other than the priority after a reload. And to my understanding the priority value will not take place until I reload the switches correct? 

Current Priority:

Switch A: Priority 1 - Active

Switch B: Priority 1 - Standby 

Switch C:  Priority 1 - Member 

Wanting to change Priority:

Switch A: Priority 15 - Active

Switch B: Priority 14 - Standby 

Switch C:  Priority 13 - Member 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

". . . but what I'm wondering will this mess with any configuration (vlans on ports, access port, trunk ports, ect) other than the priority after a reload."

It should not "mess" with your config.

"And to my understanding the priority value will not take place until I reload the switches correct?"

Yes and no.  I believe it will take effect at the next stack election, regardless of cause.  I.e. reloading the stack would be a "cause" of a stack election, but so then so would be failure of the currently active switch.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

". . . but what I'm wondering will this mess with any configuration (vlans on ports, access port, trunk ports, ect) other than the priority after a reload."

It should not "mess" with your config.

"And to my understanding the priority value will not take place until I reload the switches correct?"

Yes and no.  I believe it will take effect at the next stack election, regardless of cause.  I.e. reloading the stack would be a "cause" of a stack election, but so then so would be failure of the currently active switch.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card