Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3650 on IOS XE 16.9.3a Ignoring the "Ignore Startup Config" Variable

AntDPre
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco 3650 on IOS XE 16.9.3a Ignoring the "Ignore Startup Config" Variable

Hello Everyone,
I have a 3650 on IOS XE 16.9.3a that I do not know the password for. I am using the standard password recovery procedure as follows:
1. Power cycle and enter ROMMON
2. flash_init
3. switch_ignore_startup_cfg=1
4. boot flash:packages.conf

When the device reloads I am taken right back to the username prompt. It's like the device is ignoring the "ignore" variable and booting from startup config. I have used the same recovery procedure before and have never had this issue. Is there a way to factory reset the device without having access to the IOS?

Thanks in advance!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

brselzer
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

I believe the variable is case sensitive. Try:

SWITCH_IGNORE_STARTUP_CFG=1 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3650/software/release/3se/system_management/configuration_guide/b_sm_3se_3650_cg.pdf

Hope that helps!

-Bradley Selzer
CCIE# 60833

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can probably use this method to reset the switch:

Step 1 If you are using Cisco IOS XE Release 3.6.0E or later releases, enter the erase startup-config privileged EXEC command to clear the contents of your startup configuration.If you are using an earlier release, you can skip this step.

Step 2 Press and hold the Mode button. The switch LEDs begin blinking after about 3 seconds.

Step 3 Continue holding down the Mode button. The LEDs stop blinking after 7 more seconds, and then the switch restarts.

Step 4 The switch now operates like an unconfigured switch. You can enter the switch IP information by using Express Setup as described in the “Running Express Setup” section.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3850/hardware/quick/guide/cat3850_gsg.html#wp46478

This is for 3850 but it should work the same way for 3650.

HTH

Hi Bradley and thanks for the reply. I tried that yesterday as well but it threw an error is when using all caps so I thought that wasn't the issue. Just tried it again and low and behold it worked:)

Thanks!

brselzer
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

I believe the variable is case sensitive. Try:

SWITCH_IGNORE_STARTUP_CFG=1 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3650/software/release/3se/system_management/configuration_guide/b_sm_3se_3650_cg.pdf

Hope that helps!

-Bradley Selzer
CCIE# 60833

troystg
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a way to check the current setting once in privileged mode?  Sh ?

If the switch, router or WLC is in ROMMON, the command is "set". 

If the switch, router or WLC has booted normally, the command is "sh romvar".

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card