cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3650 switch no command prompt when it boots it worked after unboxing

yamikani2g2
Level 1
Level 1

I have this 3560 that i was given i powered it on plugged in my computer via serial i cant get a prompt. 

I basically cant do anything on these  swicthes. I cant do an RMA because the person who had them before me says they where working he says he cant remember what he did.

Atleasy if i could get to romon i cant see anything when i pull out my cable plug into another router my serial cable works well.

What could be the issue with this switch apparently they are two i powered them on and the other one also has the same issue?

Could it be these switches are designed to be stacked that is when they can operate?

I await help from you Gurus.

Thanks in advance

10 Replies 10

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Could it be these switches are designed to be stacked that is when they can operate?

No, this issue has nothing to do with stacking.  What happens when you turn off the switch completely than attach your serial cable and then turn on the switch?  Do you see the switch goes through the boot process? 

Also, you may want to try a different serial cable just in case the first one has issues. Are you sure that the cable is recognized by the PC/laptop OS?

HTH

Hello

Do you mean you dont get anything in your terminal window? - What are you using for a terminal emulation -  Putty - Are you sure it isnt due to incorrect session settings?

speed =  9600

data bits = 8
stop bits =1

parity - none

res
Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@yamikani2g2 wrote:

i cant get a prompt. 

Are you getting garbage characters on the screen?

1. I am using putty, my computer and setting have no issue i plug my console in a working switch i can log int when i plug it into this switch i get Gabbage characters. So let us not look at this.

2. I am getting Gabbage characters on the screen when i connect to the switch.

3. Most cardinal is the light on stack is going on.. i feel like they are stuck on stack

4. The guy first configured them and as he claims he plugged the uplink to the switch frabric and could not ping the 3650 from an uplink switch .So he decided to reload the 3650 switch and the first one could not come back on it went to stack. He tried the same thing on the next switch could not ping the  second 3650 switch. He restarted it and same thing it displayed gabbage characters. 

What should i do? I dont see the switch having a place where i can put the stack cables... 

@yamikani2g2 wrote:

2. I am getting Gabbage characters on the screen when i connect to the switch.

Someone has configured the baud rate incorrectly.  This is why the characters are are showing up as ASCII.

what do you mean by this? in my putty or secureCRT ( terminal emulation software) I configure this

speed =  9600
data bits = 8
stop bits =1

parity - none

I have used 3 different console cables three different machines with those setting on other routers and switches this equipment works do you mean a config on the switch? how then can i connect to it? and the light that is flashing in "stack" what do you have to say on that

Deepak Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi,
In the most of cases, I noticed that Console Converter (DB9 to USB) is making an issue. My advice to change complete Serial cable or Attach the Serial cable to a desktop or laptop which having the DB9 port. Don't use a converter.

Regards,
Deepak Kumar
Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!

What of the light that is coming  "on" on the stack? what could cause that? its stuck on that

I will try using the desktop with no converter and i will see of the Gabbage does not come?

What of the light that is coming  "on" on the stack? what could cause that? its stuck on that

I will try using the desktop with no converter and i will see of the Gabbage does not come?

I have tried to connect the switch with a serial cable on my PC it still does not work...

The Light on "Stack" Keeps flashing... i dont have a command prompt any help?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card