cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco 3750 ping failures after stack upgrade

Travis Ryan
Level 1
Level 1

I just updated my 4 stack of 3750X switches from 12.x IOS to 15.0.2 IOS. Only 2 of them updated correctly the first time, I had to manually update to the other 2. After getting all of them upgrade I restarted the entire stack.

After that I cannot get PCs not on my default VLAN to talk to their DHCP servers or ping anywhere in the network. I get a "PING: transmit failed. General failure". I can however, ping into my default vlan from the switch and ping out to other locations from the switch.

I've tried the following:

• Checking firewall status on several (WIN 7) pc's, it's off
  • Changing ports on switch (no change)
  • Restarting the PC (no change)
  • Release/renew ipconfig (no change)
  • flushdns (no change)
  • clear ARP table on switch
  • set un-set spanning-tree portfast (no change)
  • check interface status (up and up)
  • check vlan interface status (up and up)
  • changed vlans (no change)
  • checked VLAN help addresses (still there)

Any help at this point is appreciated as my network is entirely down right now.

2 Replies 2

Travis Ryan
Level 1
Level 1

I can set my laptop statically to a VLAN address, and I can ping out, get to the internet, ping between VLANs, etc. But if I just set a port (or leave it in the default VLAN) it will give me the “PING: transmit failed. General failure.” DHCP requests still aren’t getting fulfilled and even pings won’t go through if there’s not a statically set address. Nothing changed on my server configs and I even restarted my DHCP servers after encountered this problem. My guess is this is a new feature that’s turned on by default in the new IOS that needs to be disabled. Any help is appreciated.

I thought I was onto something with this DHCP snooping thread: https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/11992441/ios-1502se5-dhcp-snooping-problem

But after checking my switch it is not operational.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card