Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3750X in service IOS upgrade on stacks

umer zubairi
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

We have to upgrade the IOS on more than 35 stacks of 3750X series switches in a live environment. Kindly share the step by step procedure to upgrade IOS without losing any configuration on the stacks so I can save time from reading lengthy online guides showing different methods of IOS upgrade.

We've two images now in the switch memory:

(1) Running IOS (2) ISO switch was shipped with Now please also share the commands of deleting the first IOS that was shipped with the switch without losing any configuration on the stacks. Thanks!

BR,

Umer

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi its safe to upload by USB if you want

by destination Leo means the flash location for the image in each switch in the stack

so the command tells each flash to overwrite the current image with the new inage to each flash destination

example depending how many switches in the stack

archive download-sw /overwrite flash1:c2960s-universalk9-mz.122-55.SE8.bin flash2:c2960s-universalk9-mz.122-55.SE8.bin

View solution in original post

/flash1 /flash 2 /flash 3 /flash 4

Huh?  This is incorrect.  The correct option switch is "/destination 1 /destination 2 /destination 3 /destination 4". 

tftp://10.10.10.1/c3750e-ipbasek9-mz.150-2.SE8.bin

The filename is incorrect.  The command I've posted specifically states the IOS filename with the extension of TAR.  

Please DO NOT re-invent the wheel.  I've already provided the correct syntax and what is only required for you to do is to substitute the filename.  It shouldn't be that hard.

Command:  archive download-sw /overwrite /destination 1 /destination 2 /destination 3 /destination 4 tftp://<TFTP IP address>/IOS_filename.tar

View solution in original post

19 Replies 19

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Command:  archive download-sw /overwrite /destination 1 /destination 2 /destination 3 /destination 4 tftp://<TFTP IP address>/IOS_filename.tar

Is it a safe method doing it with a USB? I mean I don't want to lose any of my running configs. 

Here by dest1, 2, 3 and 4 means four switches in the stack Right?

Here by dest1, 2, 3 and 4 means four switches in the stack Right?

Correct.  The options "/destination <NUMBER>" means stack number. 

Is it a safe method doing it with a USB? I mean I don't want to lose any of my running configs. 

I can't force you what to do.  Upgrading the IOS via the USB port works for me many times. 

It's your call.

Okay Leo please check below is the right syntax to upgrade via console as you're fimiliar with 3750X series:

archive download-sw /overwrite /flash1 /flash 2 /flash 3 /flash 4 tftp://10.10.10.1/c3750e-ipbasek9-mz.150-2.SE8.bin - and then reload the master member.

BR,

Umer

/flash1 /flash 2 /flash 3 /flash 4

Huh?  This is incorrect.  The correct option switch is "/destination 1 /destination 2 /destination 3 /destination 4". 

tftp://10.10.10.1/c3750e-ipbasek9-mz.150-2.SE8.bin

The filename is incorrect.  The command I've posted specifically states the IOS filename with the extension of TAR.  

Please DO NOT re-invent the wheel.  I've already provided the correct syntax and what is only required for you to do is to substitute the filename.  It shouldn't be that hard.

thanks Leo it really helps!

Can I also leave the old image if I've enough space available?

Can I also leave the old image if I've enough space available?

Yes you can.  If this is the intention then REMOVE the "/overwrite" option switch. 

Can I use the same command to upgrade through Telnet?

I always use Telnet/SSH to upgrade the IOS.  I upgrade about >300 stacks (excluding routers, WLC, etc.) yearly and use exclusively remote connection.  I rarely upgrade IOS on console.  

Hi its safe to upload by USB if you want

by destination Leo means the flash location for the image in each switch in the stack

so the command tells each flash to overwrite the current image with the new inage to each flash destination

example depending how many switches in the stack

archive download-sw /overwrite flash1:c2960s-universalk9-mz.122-55.SE8.bin flash2:c2960s-universalk9-mz.122-55.SE8.bin

Hello Mark,

If I've 3 swithces and I want new IOS that is 'c3750e-ipbasek9-mz.150-2.SE8.bin' to be installed on all the slaves as well as on the master. the command would be like this:

archive download-sw /overwrite flash1:c3750e-ipbasek9-mz.150-2.SE8.bin flash2:c3750e-ipbasek9-mz.150-2.SE8.bin flash3: c3750e-ipbasek9-mz.150-2.SE8.bin

After finishing it I need to reload the master.

Correct me if I'm wrong here as I don't want to lose my configs 

BR,

Umer

Yes that looks good before you do it save your config after its uploaded just type reload to reload the whole stack , you wont loose the configs even if something goes wrong , the config is stored in flash too so it can still be extracted and manually uploaded if for some reson it didnt take like a corrupt image.

Thanks Mark and Leo!! 

Can I use the same command to upgrade through Telnet?

my opinion on that is always upgrade when consoled in , never upgrade remotely unless its impossible not too.Something goes wrong or the ssh keys etc need to be reset you could get kicked out and not get back in , or at least hjave someone consoled in locally and take over there pc

Okay I'll do it via console but what if I don't use USB below would be the command as Leo said: Right?

archive download-sw /overwrite /destination 1 /destination 2 /destination 3 /destination 4 tftp://<TFTP IP address>/IOS_filename.tar

Leo do I need to replace in above command: destination 1/destination 2/destination3 with flash1/flash2/flash3 or no need? and can I use .bin image instead of .tar?

if you have it on usb you wont need the tftp part and where flash is above you replace with usb

make sure to check when you connect it just do dir to see if its usb0 or usb1 can change depending on platform

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card