Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3850-48XS uplink to two Nexus switches

timothy_MTS
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

I was working on a project to setup an unused switch I found from the storeroom. It was being used before but now I have just wipe the configurations by "write erase" and I have also removed the vlan.dat. I have also updated the ios into 16.12.11

I believed that it was configured with another same switch as "stacked" before. So now, I have also removed the "stackwise-virtual link 1" on the 4 x FortyGigabitEthernet. I also removed the stackwise-virtual away.

But one thing I found in the show interface status and compare to the show run, there are different ports showing below.

show run (some output omitted)

!
interface TenGigabitEthernet1/0/47
!
interface TenGigabitEthernet1/0/48
!
interface TenGigabitEthernet1/1/1
!
interface TenGigabitEthernet1/1/2
!
interface TenGigabitEthernet1/1/3
!
interface TenGigabitEthernet1/1/4
!
interface TenGigabitEthernet1/1/5
!
interface TenGigabitEthernet1/1/6
!
interface TenGigabitEthernet1/1/7
!

show interface status

Te1/0/46 notconnect 1 auto auto unknown
Te1/0/47 notconnect 1 auto auto unknown
Te1/0/48 notconnect 1 auto auto unknown
Fo1/1/1 notconnect 1 auto auto unknown
Fo1/1/2 notconnect 1 auto auto unknown
Fo1/1/3 notconnect 1 auto auto unknown
Fo1/1/4 notconnect 1 auto auto unknown

There are around 16 ports of TenGigabitEthernet1/1/x while I don't see it from the hardware itself.

I eventually would like to trunk the 1 or 2 ports to my two existing Nexus switches. So, can I use those FortyGigabit ports to connect uplinks?

Cheers,

Timothy

4 Replies 4

Hello!

Did you do a factory reset? The ports te1/1/x are shown because of the use of a breakout cable. 

You can definatly use the Fo ports for connections to nexus. I would suggest using 2x Fo ports with LACP on the side of Catalyst and VPC on the side of nexus.

If you need any further help, please write.

BR

****Kindly rate all useful posts*****

I didn't factory reset this switch. So do I need to do it?

I see. Will do the 2x Fo and form the PortChannel for that. Very great suggestion.

Cheers,

Timothy

Hi,

The ports are lining up correctly. You have 48 ports of 10Gig SFP (1/0/1–1/0/48) and 4 ports of 40Gig, which are used for uplinks (fo1/1/1-1/1/4).

So, you should be able to connect a couple of these 40 Gigs to another switch that has the same type of port.

See table-19 in this link

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-3850-series-switches/datasheet_c78-720918.html

HTH

Yes. Thanks. I think according to DanielP's explain. That breakout cable on Te1/1/x, so we got 4 x FortyG ports, and each cable can split into 4 (each one is 10G), which is 4 x 4 = 16 ports, and exactly the number I have in the show running config. Te1/1/1 - Te1/1/16.

Thanks for the Help everyone.

Cheers,

Timothy

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card