Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3850 Install Mode Upgrade

Nehadeepu
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Experts,

I am going to upgrade Cisco 3850 switch and i have questions as

1. As currently  i have transfered the new .BIN file on the flash memory of master  switch, now remaining  space is 12 Mb. Due to this low space, I want to run "Software  Clean" command  so will this command delete my new .BIN file also?

2. If i will execute "Software  Clean" command and my switch will restart without upgrade  then what will happen? Will this switch boot without  upgrade?

3. Can I use the same Image For 3850P_24 port and 48P also?

Please guide. 

3 Replies 3

Hello,

1.Software Clean only deletes residual unused files from previous versions, the new image will not be touched.

2. If you reboot the switch, the switch will load the first usable image in flash.

3. The images used for the 24 an 48 port models are the same.

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

1. As currently  i have transfered the new .BIN file on the flash memory of master  switch, now remaining  space is 12 Mb. Due to this low space, I want to run "Software  Clean" command  so will this command delete my new .BIN file also?

That is correct. The bin file will be deleted.

2. If i will execute "Software  Clean" command and my switch will restart without upgrade  then what will happen? Will this switch boot without  upgrade?

Upgrade the switch first see link and look under install mode and than run the clean command. The bin file will be deleted but after a successful upgrade you don't need the bin file anymore.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-3850-series-switches/117552-technote-cat3850-00.html#anc5

Can I use the same Image For 3850P_24 port and 48P also

Yes.

HTH

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
1. Yes, "software clean" will delete ALL files that are not used by the system. This includes all BIN files and not used firmware files.
2. "software clean" will NOT crash a stack. If the stack crashes, it will boot the current firmware the stack is running on.
3. Yes.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card