cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3850 question

kushh8
Level 1
Level 1

What is the IOS version recommendation for this box as and MPLS P router with the four or eight 10g port module? I'm thinking advanced services, but not sure what version.

Thinking of using this to replace some bulky 6500s that work great with OSPF/BFD/LDP as the main features. Any recommendations on a cheap, rock solid platform that can do 2x10 or 2x40g uplink with 1 or 2 cpe facing ports at wire speed would be most appreciated. I don't pretend to understand the term or feature based licensing.

Thanks in advance!

6 Replies 6

Hi @kushh8 

I dont believe the IOS version matter as long as it supports. We can see Cisco delivering guides for different IOS versios.

But the problem is 3850 is the upcoming and of support. So, this may not be a good replacement device.

You could look at 9300 instead.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3850/software/release/16-12/configuration_guide/mpls/b_1612_mpls_3850_cg/configuring_virtual___private_lan_service__vpls__and_vpls_bgp_based_autodiscovery.html

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3850/software/release/16-6/configuration_guide/mpls/b_166_mpls_3850_cg.html

For 9300

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst9300/software/release/16-6/configuration_guide/mpls/b_166_mpls_9300_cg.html

"Any recommendations on a cheap, rock solid platform that can .."

You are not talking about Cisco here.  There´s not Cisco device we can call cheap and do what you need whatsoever.

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

For me not good decision'

Go to 9400 or 9500' 

3850 is not good choice for mpls at all.

And in final it up to you we here just recommend.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I would very, very carefully consider replacing a 6500 with a 3850.  Although a 3850 is wirespeed, its lack of hardware resources make it less than "rock solid" in many use cases compared to a 6500.  (Depending how well you understand 6500s, big differences between sup2 and sup2T, 6513 and 6513-E, a line card with gig ports using 16g bus interface vs. 80g fabric [with DFC], etc.  Similar differences between 3850 and 6500.)

Due to 3850's age, like the others, I too would recommend looking at the Catalyst 9k series but be careful on selecting particular models.

Regarding "cheap", doesn't often go hand-in-hand with "rock solid".  Your best bet for less expensive equipment would be older Cisco equipment or, perhaps, "Brand X".

Regarding "bulky", in the Cisco line-up, again devices in the 9Ks, but also in the older non-chassis 4500 and 6500 variants.

Catalyst 9k series but be careful on selecting particular models.

These words meaning a million words.

@kushh8 be careful.

Get a dedicated router.  

Nothing in IOS-XE can beat the code stability of a Catalyst 6000 supervisor engine.  

The 6k can have an uptime by the DECADES.  

IOS-XE is riddled with memory leaks.  3850 has half the CPU and memory resources that of a plain 9300 and I have to reboot my fleet of 3850 every 3 to 4 months.  And this is just doing nothing but Layer 2 switches.  

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card