Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3925/3945 ISR G2 plain Lan2Lan Throughput for 1GB VPLS

darkbeer
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

we're getting an ethernet layer2 VLPS in the near future, with a 1Gb Uplink at our central site.

I intend to use a Cisco 3945 ISR G2 for the (local) LAN to (vpls) LAN routing, but i am not sure it these models are able to handle

1Gbit Lan2Lan throughput. Does anybody knows about the 39xx throughput on it's lan interfaces?

I like to use a router instead of a switch, because i would be more flexible with qos, nat or other possible features.

Another option would be to use a me3400 switch or similar in routing mode to attach that vpls.

But in that case i would have no chance to use encryption or nat, if needed in the future

Thanks in advance.

3 Replies 3

Jerry Ye
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The ISR G2 cannot push 1G of traffic. According from the data sheet of the 3945E ISR G2

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps10536/data_sheet_c78_553924.html

The Cisco 3900 Series enables deployment in  high-speed WAN environments with concurrent services enabled up to 350  Mbps.

If you are looking for 1GE throughput plus encryption, you should look at the ASR1000 or 7600/Catalyst 6500 with SIP/SPA module.

Regards,

jerry

Thanks for your answer. But isn't there a difference between the calculation in that document, based on 64bytes packets, and the real world.

Encryption would be only a nice-to-have feature for the future, what i try to get is the estimated "real world" lan throughput

between the 3945 Ethernet Interfaces.

64byte IMIX generally means the worst case scenario.

For real world test result, please contact your Cisco account representive. Most of these documents require NDA even though they do exist.

Regards,

jerry

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: