Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 4500x-32 configure multiple port for fast-hello

blackmetal
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a pair of cisco 4500x-32 and i configured VSS between then but i am using just 1x 10G interface for fast-hello packet and here is that interface configuration:

interface TenGigabitEthernet1/1/2
description VSS-Fast Hello
dual-active fast-hello
end

I want to have redundancy for this interface, so i can execute "dual-active fast-hello" on another 10G interface for the fast-hello packages, or Shall i bundle both ports are port-channel then issue "dual-active fast-hello" command under port-channel interface?

if we should not use port-channel and we should have two phsycally interface with "dual-active fast-hello" under their configuration, Do they working as redundancy? my mean is if the first port goes down, Is the second port responsible for the fast-hello packaet?

Thank you.

6 Replies 6

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @blackmetal,

https://community.cisco.com/t5/switching/vss-fast-hello-with-dual-connection/td-p/3991153

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

Only a physical Ethernet port can support fast-hello configuration; any other ports, such as SVI or port-channel, cannot be used as fast-hello links. Multiple fast-hello links can be configured to enable redundancy. 

blackmetal
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

So to confirm this, i can not configure port channel and use fast-hello under the portchhanel and i can have up to 4 phsycal ports with out port-channel between on my switches and just issue "dual-active fast-hello" under the ports configures and then my fast-hello packets will be working with redundancy, do i understand it correctly?

Hi,

For fast-hello, you usually don't need redundancy because if the link fails, the VSS will not be impacted, but if you prefer to have multiple links, use individual physical links (no PO).

interface TenGigabitEthernet1/1/2
dual-active fast-hello

interface TenGigabitEthernet2/1/2
dual-active fast-hello  

HTH

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

How many sup-cards Quad or Dual ?

Look at the  DAD link requirement :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/solutions/Enterprise/Campus/VSS30dg/campusVSS_DG/VSS-dg_ch4.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card