cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CISCO 4506 fell over "System returned to ROM by abort at PC 0x0"

walterp
Level 1
Level 1

Switch failed without any notice, no valid information in the syslogs to indicate what the cause may have been, I have attached the crashdump log which includes version information. Any assistance will be appreciated.

Regards

Walter

7 Replies 7

Antonio Knox
Level 7
Level 7

I did notice this:

2y1w: %C4K_SWITCHINGENGINEMAN-4-FATALERRORINTERRUPTSEEN: Fatal NFL Error NFL 00010608 FDT1 00000000 FDT2 000048F8 FLD 00000000

Check this out.  It may be of help t you.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/release/note/OL_11511.html#wp741097

The link above directs you to a 4900 page.  But, as noted on the page.

Note: Although their Release Notes are unique, the 4 platforms (Catalyst 4500, Catalyst 4900, Catalyst ME 4900, and Catalyst 4900M/4948E) use the same Software Configuration Guide, Command Reference Guide, and System Message Guide.

Message was edited by: Antonio Knox

smogra
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

The logs show the following message:

2y1w: %C4K_SWITCHINGENGINEMAN-4-FATALERRORINTERRUPTSEEN: Fatal NFL Error NFL 00010608

Looks like the IOS is hitting this bug:

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCsl99781

CSCsl99781 - SUPV 10GE reload from Fatal NFL Error

Please confirm that you are using sup-V

Cheers

Sweta

P.S. Please rate the helpful answers

Hi

Thanks you for the reply I have a SUP IV installed

NAME: "Linecard(slot 1)", DESCR: "Supervisor IV with 2 1000BaseX GBIC ports"

PID: WS-X4515          , VID:    , SN: JAB071604ER

It may still be that the same error occurs on the supervisor I have installed, so I will look at upgrading the code even though its been running on this switch for sometime now without any issues. Saying that its only recently that any Netflow config was added.

As you said, recently netflow configs were added.
The crash is due to data from the netflow card. In looking at the decodes we can see data being sent from the netflow card which causes the crash. This data should not cause a crash. In bug CSCsl99781:SUPV 10GE reload from Fatal NFL Error a change has been made to the IOS to not crash when it receives this specific error. With your IOS if it receives one of these errors it then crashes. With the newer IOS it need to receive 10,000 of these errors to then crash. This is due to the fact a great deal of these errors can happen and still not mean a hardware failure, once you receive an extreme amount of these errors then the device is starting to show a hardware failure.

Cheers,
Sweta

P.S. Rate the answer if it helped you.

smogra
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

After checking and doing some research, I guess I can confirm that same bug applies to sup IV also.

Thank you for your assistance, I also have a TAC case open and will let you know if the findings are the same.

Root cause provided from Cisco

Thank you for the information you have provided. The crash youexperienced was due to a parity error. 

The best thing to do in this scenario is to monitor the device for 72 hours. If the parity error occurs a second time, then you
have a hard parity error and the hardware should be replaced. If not, you are dealing with a soft parity error, in which case no further
action is required. 

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps341/products_tech_note09186a0080094793.shtml

There is a bug fix that would prevent the crash and cause only an error message to be printed when this parity error was detected:

CSCsl99781

This bug id fixed in below mentioned releases or later

12.2(25)EWA13
12.2(31)SGA6
12.2(46)SG

The switch has been running for a week now without any further incident, I plan to do the code level upgrade as soon as we get some scheduled downtime.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card