cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 4510 ios upgrade with dual sup 8E

chintan_shah
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Cisco 4510R+E with dual Supervisor 8E and wanted to know some things about license, ios upgrade and their redundancy states. So we are deploying this new 4510 switch where active sup and standby sup are on different IOS image with different redundancy mode.

• slot 5 Sup was shipped with IP base image (03.06.06.E)

• slot 6 Sup was shipped with LAN base image (03.03.00.XO)

As a result, I see the standby sup on slot 6 disabled/unknown in my 4510 switch. Further troubleshooting, it was found that SSO mode was not supported (only RPR available) on standby sup and active sup is running with SSO and Simplex mode.

Now I want to upgrade the IOS for both SUP and also do license install post upgrade but because I cannot get both SUP to be online at a time, I want to know what is my best bet in this situation.

Regarding licensing, If I just keep the active sup and remove standby sup and then install license with only active sup. Do I need to reinstall license when I insert the standby sup afterwards?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

In order for redundancy (SSO) to work correctly, you need to have the same exact IOS installed in both sups. So, upgrade slot 6 to 03.06.06.E as well using the USB port.  Once both sups have the same IOS, you need to reboot the chassis and than you should see slot 5 as primary and slot 6 as backup.  When 2 sups are running in SSO mode (redundant mode) you only need license for one sup as the other sup will be on stand-by.  To avoid any other issues, I also recommend having the same type of license in both sups. 

HTH

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

In order for redundancy (SSO) to work correctly, you need to have the same exact IOS installed in both sups. So, upgrade slot 6 to 03.06.06.E as well using the USB port.  Once both sups have the same IOS, you need to reboot the chassis and than you should see slot 5 as primary and slot 6 as backup.  When 2 sups are running in SSO mode (redundant mode) you only need license for one sup as the other sup will be on stand-by.  To avoid any other issues, I also recommend having the same type of license in both sups. 

HTH

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card