Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 6500 VSS question

rshiva62
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

We have two Cisco 6509 switches with single SUP-2T module in each. As per show version, it shows that we are running S2T54-advipservicesk9-mz.spa. 

We are looking to purchase two additional SUP modules to create quad-VSS between both the switches for higher redundancy/stability. My question is do we need to purchase the advipservicesk9-mz.spa license? We reached out to two different vendors for quotes. One vendor has quoted us the SUP-2T modules and the VS-S2T IP BASE FULL ENCRYPT license and the other vendor has quoted the SUP-2T modules and the VS-S2T IOS ADVANCED IP SERVICES license.

Do we need the ADVANCED IP SERVICES license? OR Can we upgrade from Base to ADVANCED later without any charge?

9 Replies 9

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

To build VSS and Advanced Features you need IOS image like  example : s2t54-adventerprisek9-mz.SPA.152-1.SY3

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

The IOS for 6500 series is not license based.  It is based on feature sets.  That is the reason the vendor gave you 2 quotes, one for IP base and the other one for advanced IP services.  So, since your existing Sups come  with advipservicesk9, you need to purchase 2 additional sups exacly the same way meaning you need them with advipservicesk9. This way all 4 sups have the same feature sets.

HTH

I might be mistaken, but I recall 6500 licenses were for the chassis regardless whether you had one or two sups. I.e. as long as you have the Advanced IP, I recall (?) you can legally purchase a second sup with IP Base and use it in the chassis.

Joe,

I don't think VSS will work if the IOS images are different per sup in the same chassis. Now, one thing the OP can do is to talk to Cisco and only pay for one license per chassis as the chassis uses one sup at a time. If I remember correctly Advanced IP services image cost about 10k per sup and if he can download Advanced IP services image for the second sup and not pay for it, he saves about 20k.

HTH

Thanks all for responses. We have one vendor telling it is possible, the other vendor saying it is not possible. I just wanted to get your opinion before we place the order, because at a later stage we do not want to find out that the adv ip services license is required. 

Reza, believe you're correct, about IOS images needing to match. However, you shouldn't need to download a copy of the IOS from Cisco, you should be able to copy it from the original sup.

To the OP, someone at Cisco should be able to answer your question as to whether you need to purchase a second Advanced IP license.

We don’t have anyone at Cisco. The vendors are themselves talking to Cisco. One vendor claims we need to have advanced iOS licensing which is almost $10k more and another vendor is saying it’s not required.

But based on everyone responses we need to purchase this license since we have existing in the switch.

Well, you definitely need at least one license, the question is whether you need to purchase a second license for the second sup (in the same chassis).

I thought Cisco has a pre-sales department. If so, try contacting them. As you've noted, it's not an insignificant price difference.

The vendor has advised that I would not need to purchase the advanced ip services license. They told me that I would need to upgrade the new SUP2T module to adv ip services and then perform VSS between the existing and new SUP on both switches.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card