Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 6504E + VS-S2T-10G-XL performance question

blackmetal
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

i have 3x 10G uplink from 3x different ip transits and i have full bgp table from all of them, i want to use Cisco 6504E +VS-S2T-10G-XL so i have some questions :

1) i have around 2g bps and during attacks 3-4m pps , is it ok for this switch ?

2) in VS-S2T-10G-XL  datasheet mentioned that i can supports up to 1m ipv4 routes and 500k ipv6 routes so at the same time it can serve 1.5m routes ? my mean is can i have ipv4/ipv6 bgp full table from my ip transits at the same time? because somebody told me in the productional enviroment it can serve up to 1m totally including ipv4,ipv6

3) i want to run 7-8x GRE tunnel and totally my gre traffic is around 500m but the datasheet told it can serve up to 390m gre traffic then what happend if i use 500m ?

Thank you.

7 Replies 7

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello @blackmetal 

1) yes it is fine

2)  be aware that currently a full IPv6 table is less then 130,000 routes and IPv4 is in the order of 880,000 routes

being a distributed platform as you have 3 x 10 GE uplinks and at least one internal interface you need also a linecard that supports 10GE ports. You need to use a linecard with a CFC or the right DFC4XL daughter card to build a working system

3)   GRE tunneling if it is not hardware assisted will have an impact on the main CPU so if is able to support 400 Mpbs of GRE traffic it will give that

Hope to help

Giuseppe

blackmetal
Level 1
Level 1

@Giuseppe Larosa 

i want to use 6504e with WS-X6704-10GE and VS-S2T-10G-XL so are they ok ?

and are they able to host both 130k ipv6 routes and 880k ipv4 routes at the same time?

Hope this help you ? should be able to process

image.png

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello @blackmetal ,

>> and are they able to host both 130k ipv6 routes and 880k ipv4 routes at the same time?

yes see image posted by BB

I worry about  GRE traffic this is the only concern I have. This is not sold anymore by Cisco  and it will be supported up to October 2025

Hope to help

Giuseppe

blackmetal
Level 1
Level 1

1) yes i already read it, but i want to make sure it has serve 500k ipv6 and 1m ipv4 routes at the same time and with any issues, is it correct? 

2) when i receive bgp full table from my 3x ip tranists they will be around 3x 880k and then only active and best route install in routes table and i will nto exceed the switch limit right?

thanks,

@blackmetal,

1. The Sup2T-XL FIB has 1M total entries possible. IPv4 unicast takes 1 entry, IPv6 unicast takes 2 entries, IPv4 multicast takes 2 entries, IPv6 multicast takes 4 entries. Therefore, you cannot have both 1M IPv4 unicast and 512K IPv6 unicast entries at the same time. The total number of entries possible depends on the mix of v4/v6 and unicast/multicast being used.

2. We only populate the FIB with the best path from the three peerings, so it will not be 3 x 880K. However, you would need enough DRAM to hold 3 x 880K tables in the Routing Table (also known as Routing Information Base (RIB) in CEF Architecture).

Cheers,
Scott Hodgdon

Senior Technical Marketing Engineer

Enterprise Networking and Cloud Group

Hello @blackmetal ,

>> 2) when i receive bgp full table from my 3x ip tranists they will be around 3x 880k and then only active and best route install in routes table and i will nto exceed the switch limit right?

Yes you cannot use eBGP multipath on this platform in the TCAM FIB only best paths are installed . MAin CPU memory handles the three copies of the BGP full table.

>> 1) yes i already read it, but i want to make sure it has serve 500k ipv6 and 1m ipv4 routes at the same time and with any issues, is it correct? 

yes again

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card