Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 6509 Sup engine 32 IOS upgrade via USB

shawntls82
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

As per above mentioned, I would like to find out how to upgrade SUP engine 32 via USB port as I've never did IOS upgrade on a SUP engine via USB before, appreciate any advise and assistance.

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hmmmm ... #2 and #3 can be made into a single stroke.  But for the risk-averse people, I have inserted an "insurance" to make sure the IOS I've copied across is NOT corrupted.

1.  Download the IOS from the Cisco website;

2.  Compare the MD5 of the IOS file against the MD5 hash values from the Cisco website;

3.  Copy the IOS from the PC to the CF;

4.  Insert the CF into the Active supervisor card;

5.  Copy the IOS from the CF into the active supervisor card:  copy disk0:filename.bin sup-bootflash:filemane.bin;

OPTIONAL:  Compare the MD5 from the bootflash against the Cisco website:  verify /md5 sup-bootflash:filename.bin

6.  Copy the IOS from the Active supervisor card to the secondary supervisor card's bootflash:

Use either one of the commands:

copy disk0:filename.bin slave-supbootflash:filename.bin

OR

copy sup-bootflash:filename.bin slave-supbootflash:filename.bin

7.  Change the bootstring.

That's my process.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

USB ports on Sup32 & Sup720 does not work.

Do you have a CF in your "disk0:"?  You can use that.

shawntls82
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Leo,

Yes, there is a CF, just one question can i remove the CF and plug it into another sup engine 32?

can the CF being remove while the unit is still ON?

thanks.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Yes, there is a CF, just one question can i remove the CF and plug it into another sup engine 32?

Yes you can.  As long as the Supervisor card isn't reading/writting, you can eject the CF, copy an IOS into this CF and instruct the line card to boot the new IOS from the CF.

Hi Leo,

Thanks for the confirmation, I'll be upgrading several sup engines, so below will be my working steps:

1) copy the required IOS from PC to CF

2) put the CF into SUP 32 (Switch A), copy the IOS into sup-bootdisk: , specify bootflash path and reload

3) remove CF and put int SUP 32 (Switch B), copy IOS into sup-bootdisk:, specify bootflash path and reload

4) same step for Switch C, etc...

Is the steps correct ?   

Hmmmm ... #2 and #3 can be made into a single stroke.  But for the risk-averse people, I have inserted an "insurance" to make sure the IOS I've copied across is NOT corrupted.

1.  Download the IOS from the Cisco website;

2.  Compare the MD5 of the IOS file against the MD5 hash values from the Cisco website;

3.  Copy the IOS from the PC to the CF;

4.  Insert the CF into the Active supervisor card;

5.  Copy the IOS from the CF into the active supervisor card:  copy disk0:filename.bin sup-bootflash:filemane.bin;

OPTIONAL:  Compare the MD5 from the bootflash against the Cisco website:  verify /md5 sup-bootflash:filename.bin

6.  Copy the IOS from the Active supervisor card to the secondary supervisor card's bootflash:

Use either one of the commands:

copy disk0:filename.bin slave-supbootflash:filename.bin

OR

copy sup-bootflash:filename.bin slave-supbootflash:filename.bin

7.  Change the bootstring.

That's my process.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card