cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 6509 supervisor engine redundancy

jenson brocky
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,Anyone could advise is there any downtime impacted to the LAN client devices if I reboot one of my active supervisor engine to standby supervisor engine on Cisco6509. Will it be seemless to the LAN client devices?

4 Replies 4

Hello,

If you reboot your standby supervisor no. If you reboot your active supervisor, it will have impact  just for a short period of time. Some seconds.

Make sure your standby supervisor works properly by "show redundancy" command and SSO is set.

Hope it helps.

Hello,

Thanks for your reply. So it means it not seemless and there will be drop of packets in terms of active/standby supervisor engine switchover for Cisco 6509.  

Yes, you will have some drops depending on your configuration. If SSO mode is set, downtime would be short. Around 1 to 10 seconds. But if RTR is set, downtime will be more than 30 seconds.

Masoud,

Being seemless is relative. It will be seeless for a bunch of users browsing web, but it will not for some applications which even are sensitive to some drops. I usually have 4 to 7 ICMP timeout when I switch. I suggest you to do it in downtime.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card