cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 6807 software upgrade

Matthew
Level 1
Level 1

I was tasked with updating the software on a 6807 with a single sup2t module. This was not a production switch and I did not have any ethernet port blades installed except for the management interface on the sup. After some research I learned how to access the CMP and assign an ip address to that interface and also learned that I could utilize the usb port for file transfers. I copyied my .bin image to "rp-bootfllash:" and this appeared to put the software in the same location as the included software which is what I had hoped. I changed my boot statements and reloaded the switch, everything is now working and running on the new software as expected.

My question is, can I copy the running config to the usb drive? From the RP CLI there is no option to access usbflash0: and in CMP I can access usbflash0: but cannot access the running config to copy it over. Also rather then reloading the whole switch could just the supervisor be reloaded to apply the new software? I tried a "hw-module" soft reset on it but it didn't seem to do anything. Maybe I just used the wrong command, but I am looking to streamline my process. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The USB port on Sup-2T is useless.  Cisco has added USB port starting Sup-720-VS (which came out 7 years ago) and has never been enable to get it working properly.

As for your second question, loading the supervisor is the same as loading the chassis.  So, when you issue the reload command, it will reload the whole switch which includes the sup.

HTH

The USB does work through CMP only, which is how I transferred my software onto the device and upgraded it.

As for the reload, is there a way to just reload the sup to upgrade the software or in an entire reload needed, which is what I did. I know with a dual homed setup, the following can be done:

issu loadversion bootdisk:s2t54-advipservicesk9-mz.SPA.151-2.SY4a.bin

The USB does work through CMP only, which is how I transferred my software onto the device and upgraded it.

That is my point.  Why not use the USB directly just like any Nexus device.

Anyway, there is no way to just reload the sup. You have to do an entire reload.

HTH

I tried using it directly but it is not in the list of available devices to transfer files from/too. Unless I am missing something.

No, you are correct.  You can't use it directly.  I have complained to Cisco several times about it, but they don't seem to be interested in fixing such simple feature.  It works fine in other platforms but not for Sup-720s or Sup-2Ts.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card