Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 9300 switch performance

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi All

I am looking at some switch upgrades, I need 10G base T copper and 25G uplinks.

We normally use the C9200-24UXB switches, these have bigger buffers (64MB)

I need a few more ports and the best forwarding rate possible, so I am looking at the 9300X-48TX, this has 32MB buffers but has a lot higher switching capacity and forwarding rate.

I assume I won't need these bigger buffers as the backplane of the 9300X switch has a higher capacity and forwarding rate, thus will have no need to "buffer" the traffic ? is this correct ?

Cheers

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@carl_townshend wrote:
these have bigger buffers (64MB)

Standard Catalyst-range per-port buffer had always been 64 Mb.  

Something beefier (deeper buffers) would fall into the Nexus range.

Hi Leo

Sorry to correct you, the normal 9300s have 16 or 32Mbit buffers by default, see below

carl_townshend_0-1716362422041.png

Mea culpa.

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Carl,

I agree with Leo! If this is for server/data center environment with VMs and storage, and you need more buffer, take a look at the Nexus series. 

HTH 

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

"I assume I won't need these bigger buffers as the backplane of the 9300X switch has a higher capacity and forwarding rate, thus will have no need to "buffer" the traffic ? is this correct ?"

Not necessarily.

Many modern Enterprise or DC switch fabrics will handle all ports, concurrently, at wire-speed.  Additionally fabric ingress buffering often leads to head-of-line blocking.  So, port buffering is often for egress.

Actually egress port buffering is only needed to handle concurrent multiple egress requests, bursty too fast requests and/or TCP BDP.

Not knowing anything about your network, cannot comment on what your optimal buffer needs are.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card