cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 9300X Stacking without StackWise+ Cables - Is it Possible?

fabiano-macco96
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

I'm setting up a corporate LAN with two Cisco Catalyst 9300X-24UX-E switches in the core. I've already cabled the network with fiber optic backbones connecting each floor of the building to the core using the SFP+ ports.

My goal is to create a redundant core, but I've discovered that I don't have the StackWise+ cables needed to enable stacking on the 9300X switches.

Is it possible to create a virtual stack between the two switches without using StackWise+ cables? If not, what alternatives would you recommend to ensure redundancy and high availability in the core?

4 Replies 4

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

NO not possible Flex stack on these models.

2 Option,

1 order stack cables.

2. Create Layer 2 Link  Bundle between these 2 Cat 9300 and connect access switch,(one of the Link will be spanning blocking you can use priority which link you like to active.

Other way you can  do Layer 3 between access switches to Cat 9300  using any IGP to load share, 

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@fabiano-macco96 wrote:
Is it possible to create a virtual stack between the two switches without using StackWise+ cables? If not, what alternatives would you recommend to ensure redundancy and high availability in the core?

Get StackWise cables. 

There is really no excuse to skimp on buying StackWise cables.  They are even cheaper in the gray or used market.

Sean Born
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Fabiano,

Unfortunately, you cannot create a StackWise Virtual with the 9300 series. However, you can do this with a 9400, 9500, or 9600 series switch. Having a conversation with your SE is a good idea. At Cisco Live this year, we announced a new feature called mLAG that will be available later this year. If you are familiar with Nexus, it is similar to the VPC feature. You will have independent data and management planes, but you can build an EtherChannel from both switches to an access switch. 

I hope this helps.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
switch stack-speed high

Enter this command into all the 9300X switches or else it will not join the stack.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card