cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 9500 bypasses startup-config on every boot

tdavis85
Level 1
Level 1

I inherited a Cisco 9500 at a remote site that has bypassed the startup config every time it has been rebooted.  I have issued the 

"no system ignore startupconfig" command and wrote the config multiple times but am still having the issue.  The issue is that I have nobody on-site, so each time we attempt a reload we have to have someone from another location go there, and they are not network technicians.  Is there a way to see what is actually going to happen at the next boot other than the show boot command?  Show boot is showing the config register will be correct at the new boot:

BOOT variable = bootflash:cat9k_iosxe.16.08.01a.SPA.bin;
Configuration Register is 0x142 (will be 0x102 at next reload)
MANUAL_BOOT variable = no
BAUD variable = 9600
ENABLE_BREAK variable does not exist
BOOTMODE variable does not exist
IPXE_TIMEOUT variable does not exist
CONFIG_FILE variable does not exist

This is a single device not in a stack or VSL.  We are planning on upgrading the IOS and booting from install mode, but would like to see if anyone has had a similar experience and found a work around.  

5 Replies 5

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Maybe due to this I am thinking, do below steps: save and reload

#config-register 0x102

#no system ignore startupconfig

or try below :

#no system ignore startupconfig switch all
#config-register 0x102

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

No it is not fixed.  I had already tried the config-register and that did not work.  The "switch all" syntax is not supported on my device. If I try that it says it's invalid, even though that's what the cisco documentation says.    

#config-register 0x102  - if this configured and rebooted.

can you post

show version

show boot

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

^^^That was the output from show version after I had changed the config-register to 0x2102 and done the  "no system ignore startupconfig" command. Per my original post.

tdavis85
Level 1
Level 1

For anyone having this issue, I upgraded the IOS, which upgraded the Bootloader as well  and after that it stopped bypassing the startup config and started to boot normal again. If anyone has the same issue, I'd recommend trying that.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card