Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 9K support for Twinax (direct attach cables) to a server

carl.townshend
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

We would like to plug in a server using 10G to our 9300 switches or our 9548YC switches.

The vendor has asked if we can use SFP+ twinax cables, are these supported? if so do we need to use Cisco ones or can we use the ones provided by the server vendor?

Cheers

3 Replies 3

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @carl.townshend 

please find here matrix compatibility for C9300. DAC cables compatible are mentioned:

https://tmgmatrix.cisco.com/?npf=76

Cisco offers its own branded SFP+ twinax cables, and using Cisco-branded cables is usually straightforward and ensures compatibility. Cisco cables are designed to work seamlessly with Cisco switches, providing a level of assurance in terms of compatibility and support.

In many cases, third-party (non-Cisco) SFP+ twinax cables can also be used. However, it's essential to check whether the third-party cables are compatible with your specific Cisco switch models. Some vendors provide compatibility matrices that list supported devices.  Using third-party cables might void the official support from Cisco. If you encounter issues and reach out to Cisco support, they may request that you use Cisco-branded cables for troubleshooting.

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Carl,

It all depends on the 3rd party vendor you purchase from. Cisco products work with some third-party vendors just fine but not all. You should have no issue with Cisco-branded products. I get parts from this company for a much more reasonable price than Cisco and it has always worked for me.

fs.com

HTH

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

On nexus 5K i used some 3rd party Twinax it worked, But when we open a TAC case some issue, since its 3rd party they dont support.

so better be cautious when you choosing the right twinax cable for support.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card