Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco and Allied Telesis switch interoperability

Sheraiz Ahmad
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Experts,

Could someone tell us if the Catalyst 3750-X (WS-C3750X-24T-L) and Allied Telesis AT-9924T  (http://www.alliedtelesis.com/p-1957.html) switches work together without any issue? The two switches will be connected using the following modules:

Allied Telesis Modules

AT-XEM-2XS-Z1

AT-SP10SR-Z1

Cisco Modules:

C3KX-NM-10G

SFP-10G-SR

The Allied Telesis switch is the core L3 switch currently being used, and the new Cisco switch to be purchased will be used for servers (single VLAN 100). It is planned to configure link aggregation between the switches. Because the Cisco switch is to connect only servers all ports except connected to Allied Telesis switch will be on a VLAN 100.

I have checked the Cisco switch software configuration manual and could not find any word about GVRP protocol support. Does that mean the 3750-X will not be able to do VLAN trunking with Allied Telesis switch?

Thank you very much!

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

According to the data sheet for AT-9924, it supports 802.1q encapsulation.  So, since the 3750 series also support 802.1q encapsulation, they should interoperable.

HTH

uw4ever69_2
Level 1
Level 1

Ken,

I actually work at Allied Telesis, and I am very familiar with the AT-9924 switch. I can never absolutely guarantee that two switches from two vendors will work together, but I don’t see any reason why you should have a problem. You should be able to do LACP between the 3750 and the 9924. Since you only have the one vlan between the two switches, I wouldn’t worry about using GVRP. Reza is right, both switches will do 802.1q encapsulation, so as long as vlan 100 is tagged on both switches, everything should work. You can put the port on the 3750 into trunk mode, then add vlan 100. On the 9924, you will just need to add the vlan to the port as tagged:

Create vlan= vid=100

Add vlan=100 port=X frame=tagged (where X is the port number connecting to the 3750)

I hope this helps, good luck

Ryan

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card