cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco C2960-S bootloop

entetex01
Level 1
Level 1

I acquired a WS-C2960S-48FPS-L through an auction. I want to try and use it for my CCNA training. The first thing I did was copy the newest firmware over to the device using the archive download-sw /leave-old-sw /reload tftp://192.168.10.7/c2960s-universalk9-tar.150-2.SE12.tar command. Since the reload, the switch is in an infinite bootloop, giving off errors like the one in the attachment, over and over again.

I have tried to get to the bootloader menu, but according to this refference, I should release the Mode button when LED above 1X turns off. The LED's above none of the ports ever light up.

Is there another way to access the bootloader? Or am I missing out on some other important information?

Next to that I would like to know what went wrong during the upgrade. I've read about issues with VTP causing some odd behaviour, would that be the cause of my problem? The original fw was c2960s-universalk9-mz.150-2.SE.

10 Replies 10

Hello,

the mode button should work...

Either way, try a factory reset:

--> Press and hold the Mode button. The switch LEDs begin blinking after about 3 seconds.
--> Continue holding down the Mode button. The LEDs stop blinking after 7 more seconds, and then the switch reboots.
--> The switch now operates like an unconfigured switch. You can enter the switch IP information by using Express Setup.

Check the link below for Express Setup instructions:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960xr/hardware/quick/guide/b_gsg_2960xr.html

Hello Georg,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm afraid the factory reset you're suggesting would only work as long as IOS is already booted. Mine won't get that far.

Hello,

you are right...

Have you tried the old fashioned XMODEM recovery ?

https://community.cisco.com/t5/networking-blogs/loading-an-ios-on-a-switch-via-xmodem/ba-p/3103557

Hello Georg,

I'd like to try, but I can't seem to get to the bootloader menu. Holding down the Mode button while plugging in the power cord, does not make the LED above the 1X mark light up. Also, I've not deleted the previous IOS image, so getting to the bootloader menu would circumvent the need for the XMODEM, I think.

Use a different IOS.
Force the switch to go into ROMmon and boot using USB.

Hello Leo,

Thanks for your answer. Would you know a way to force the switch into the ROMmon (/ Bootloader), next to the use of the Mode button (see my answer to Georg)?

If you've deleted the IOS then what is the appliance boot into?

Hello Leo,

I have not deleted the IOS. Please see the attachment to the initial post. There are currently two IOS images on the flash. The one it is booting into, makes the switch crash before it allows any user input. That is why I would like to enter the bootmenu, so I can make it use the different IOS image.

Power down the switch.
Hold down the Mode button.
Continue to hold down the Mode button and power on the switch.
Continue holding down the Mode button for 20 seconds and then release.
The switch should boot into ROMmon.

Hello Leo,

I've done as you've suggested. Sadly it has not helped. I've held the mode button for 20 seconds after powering on the switch, and still it won't enter the ROMmon. Also, it continues to crash. Please see the attachment that I've captured from the console.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card