cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco C6807-XL rommon mode

jeremy21t
Level 1
Level 1

I am configuring two Cisco 6808-XL core switch in VSS mode. The secondary switch enters into rommon mode.

I have tried changing the reg-no 0x2102 but it didn't help. Any help Please. 

17 Replies 17

Thanks a lot

Would you please point any reference to upgrade a switch IOS which is in rommon mode using TFTP ? 

I could not able to assign an ip address to the 6807-XL switch because of it is in rommon mode. 

@jeremy21t wrote:

Kindly suggest me a stable IOS version ?

Here's a handy hint regarding which IOS to choose from: 

1.  Gold Star - It is just an "indication".  It doesn't mean it's stable. 

2.  Release Date - Don't pick a version if the Release Date is >6 months old.  Bugs, vulnerabilities, exploits, etc.  Not worth it. 

3.  Version "number" - Remember what I said about the last character to the IOS version?  If it doesn't have a number at the end, avoid that version like a plague.  

4.  High Numbers - Again, look at the last bit of the IOS version.  Does it have a number?  If it does, what is this number?  Consider something that have a high number at the end.  It means that this version has been "improved".  Look for the latest version of the train.  Examples like 15.2(1)SYor 15.1(2)SY12.

5.  Rebuilds - AVOID!  There are versions that are called "rebuilds".  It can be easily identified by the small letter in IOS versions, example like 15.2(1)SY0a or 15.1(2)SY4a.

Once you've "picked" the candidate IOS, it is very important to read the Release Notes.  Release Notes not only will have a list of OPEN &/or Fixed bugs but it will have important information about the IOS, such as what platforms are supported, whether or not ROMmon upgrade is required/mandatory/recommended, quirks in IOS upgrades, etc.  

Hope this helps.

Hi Leo

It was a very nice explanation and thank you very much. I tried every possible solutions you and every one else suggested but it didn't work for me. Finally i created a TAC support case and after trying a lot to solve ,they suggested for RMA.

Thanks all for your help.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card