Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco C9500 upgrade from 16.12.x to 17.12.3

Dinesh DG
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ,

Planning to upgrade cisco C9500-32QC models switches from 16.12.03a to 17.12.3, May I know if I can do a direct upgrade in this situation ? or do I have to go with an intermediate upgrade.

in the release note document I can find only the following information

Release Notes for Cisco Catalyst 9500 Series Switches, Cisco IOS XE Dublin 17.12.x - Upgrading the Switch Software [Cisco Catalyst 9500 Series Switches] - Cisco

DineshDG_0-1713734433315.png

but it doesn't specifically tell me whether if I can go in a direct upgrade.

appreciate your help here.

Thanks in advance.

Dinesh

6 Replies 6

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

With Catalyst switches, you usually can go directly from one version to another. Depending on the version, a step upgrade is generally required on Nexus platforms.

HTH

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Direct upgrade to 17.12.X is fine, however, there will be a micro-code upgrade and this will push the reload time to about 14 minutes.

Dinesh DG
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you very much for your prompt replies. appreciate your help.

show version command outpot in the c9500-32QC doesn't show whether the current mode is Install or Bundle mode. Is there any specific way to confirm whether we are in install mode or in bundle mode in this model ?

Use the command "sh boot" and look at the BOOT variable string.  If the boot variable string is "packages.conf" then it is Install Mode.

Dinesh DG
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you for getting back.

I can see the from the output the switch is running bundle mode.

Switch1#show boot
BOOT variable = flash:cat9k_iosxe.16.12.03a.SPA.bin;
Configuration Register is 0x102
MANUAL_BOOT variable = no
BAUD variable = 9600
ENABLE_BREAK variable does not exist
BOOTMODE variable does not exist
IPXE_TIMEOUT variable does not exist
CONFIG_FILE variable does not exist

Switch1#

But according to the upgrade guide, it only lists the upgrade method for install mode. so to perform the upgrade, should I convert the existing mode from bundle mode to install mode before I proceed with the upgrade ?

kindly advise

Is the plan to reboot the 9500 now-ish or at a later date. 

If the plan is to reboot the 9500 now-ish, then refer to the attached file "9500 IOS Upgrade (PUBLIC).pdf". 

If the plan is to reboot the 9500 at a later date, then refer to the attached file "One-Hit-Wonder IOS-XE Upgrade (PUBLIC).pdf". 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card