cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Catalyst 2960-s can't connect to console via serial

JDubb2323
Level 1
Level 1

I can't connect to Cisco catalyst via serial when using windows 7 w/putty.  I was able to connect using RHEL 6 w/minicom prior to switch being moved to another location.  I have verified COM1 settings in both Putty and Win 7.  I need to remove DHCP from config what other way can I get into the configuration?  I've never used the web interface

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Is there an IP an the device?

Is it connected to the network? If yes, you can use SSH or Telnet to connect to the device.

HTH

I figured it out thanks for the help

Charles Hill
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Are you attempting an ssh connection?  If so try

telnet "ip address of switch" 22

from the windows 7 machine to confirm you have network connectivity to the switch on port 22.

Or

telnet "ip address of switch"

After seeing Reza's posting, I realized you originally were using a serial connection and not accessing it remotely. 

If you have access to another switch that is directly connected to the problem switch, you can login to the second switch and type

show cdp neighbor detail

and as long as CDP is enabled you will see the ip address of the switch. 

This switch was running a small internal LAN with a SAN with Linux host (using minicom to manage switch) not connected to the outside world.  I re-provisioned the switch and SAN for a different project configuration (Server 08 with Active Direcroty and DNS/DHCP) and I'm not a cisco expert but I was midly confident the config would support my concept.  Upon configuring Server 08 it become obvious I needed to allow Server 08 to set DHCP not theswitch. So I'm simply trying to connect to the switch which has encryption and password protection to remove dhcp configuration.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card