Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Catalyst 3500 and Finisar GBIC

Andrewkauble
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I've got a slight problem with my setup. I have two Cisco catalyst 3500 switches which both have a Finisar FTR-1519-62 1620nm Single Mode GBIC Transceiver. IOS ver. 12. Once the switches are up and running the GBIC's will be detected only if inserted after POST. I can issue the Reload command and they will stay up with no issues. If I unplug the power from the unit and then power it back on however they will not be recognized until I remove the GBIC from the slot and then put it back on. I have issued the no shutdown command on the ports which the cards are in and saved the configuration to the startup configuration from the running configuration with no luck....Figured these things should nearly be plug and play...any ideas?

Thank you for any help I can get!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hey Andrew,

I've answered this issue on your previous post.  IT's due to the imcompatibility with the Finisar GBIC and the 3500XL.

Go to e-Bay and get a used GBIC and your problem should be rectified.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hey Andrew,

I've answered this issue on your previous post.  IT's due to the imcompatibility with the Finisar GBIC and the 3500XL.

Go to e-Bay and get a used GBIC and your problem should be rectified.

Thank you! Turns out I had some old Cisco Multimode GBIC's sitting around and sure enough when I popped that sucker in it worked like a charm. Gonna get those Cisco GBIC's on the way.

Thanks for the ratings.  Glad to be of some assistance. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card