Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Catalyst 3850 SFP+ feature

Hi ALL.

I reed datasheet on WS-C3850 series switches and see in this document that 3850XS support 1/10G SFP+

WS-C3850-12XS

12 1/10G SFP+

What is 1/10G SFP+?

Really there is SFP+ with support of speed 1Gbit/s or this SW support SFP modules?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Yes you can there backward compatible , obviously the type of sfp needs to be supported in the platform but once it is yes you can use a gb sfp in an sfp+ 10gb port

View solution in original post

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I believe others have already answered, but a SFP+ port supports either gig or 10g, which is actually used, gig or 10g, depends on whether a gig or 10g transceiver is used in the port.

So on that switch you can have any combination of gig or 10g for its 12 ports.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

These are the new 10GB switches range but the ports are also backward compatabile to a 1GB , so standard as 10gb but can be 1gb too

Hi Mark.

Many thanks for you answer.

That is in 3850XS I can connect SFP to the same ports as SFP+?

Yes you can there backward compatible , obviously the type of sfp needs to be supported in the platform but once it is yes you can use a gb sfp in an sfp+ 10gb port

Hi

Usually there are modules of SFPs for:

GigaEthernet only,

Gigaethernet and 10Giga

and 10 Giga only. 

You should see what module has installed the device, you will see a small words like: G1 (Por 1 GigaEthernet) or G3 - TE 3 (Port 3 Giga or Ten) below the SFP modules. Now for the other 12 ports you need to verify if they support 10G or just 1Gb.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/switches/catalyst-3850-series-switches/models-comparison.html

https://www.google.com.sv/search?q=cisco+3850+modules&rlz=1C1HIJA_enSV704SV704&espv=2&biw=1242&bih=602&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjImYKCr8TSAhWB0iYKHVSMAjQQ_AUIBigB#imgrc=-TsR9H9_eSLvkM:

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

Hi.

I not have question for use additional NM-module for WS-C3800. This is clear.

I want to understand it is possible to use SFP and SFP + modules in one ports for WS-C3850-XS.

For example: I have WS-C3850-12XS and two modules SFP-10G-SR and GLC-LH-SM. I will be able to connect these two modules to any two built-in ports of this SW at the same time?

Hi 

If your devices is WS-C3850-12X48U-S and we are based on the attached table, Multi Giga Ethernet ports, you can use SFP or SFP+  for 12 ports and optional until other 8 x 10 Ten Gig (SFP+)  if a module is installed. 

WS-C3850-12X48U-S 36 UPOE 12 UPOE 1100 W, 800 W 4 x 1 GE
2 x 10 GE
4 x 10 GE
8 x 10 GE
2 x 40 GE
Yes

This link could be useful:

https://www.cnet.com/products/cisco-catalyst-3850-12xs-s-switch-12-ports-managed-rack-mountable/specs/

:-)

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

Hi 

The following links could be useful, verify the SFP supported by model:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/interfaces_modules/transceiver_modules/compatibility/matrix/GE_Tx_Matrix.html#_Toc462044413

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/interfaces_modules/transceiver_modules/installation/note/78_15160.html

Cisco SFP+ modules offer the following features and benefits.

Industry’s smallest 10G form factor for greatest density per chassis

Hot-swappable input/output device that plugs into an Ethernet SFP+ port of a Cisco switch (no need to power down if installing or replacing)

Supports “pay-as-you-populate” model for investment protection and ease of technology migration

Digital optical monitoring capability for strong diagnostic capabilities

Optical interoperability with 10GBASE XENPAK, 10GBASE X2, and 10GBASE XFP interfaces on the same link

Cisco quality identification (ID) feature enables a Cisco platform to identify whether the module is certified and tested by Cisco

Catalyst 3850 series

Network Device

Transceiver Model

Minimum Software Release Required

DOM Support

Software Release

WS-C3850-12XS
WS-C3850-16XS
WS-C3850-24XS
WS-C3850-32XS

(with C3850-NM-8-10G NM)

GLC-T (10/100/1000)
GLC-LH-SM
GLC-LH-SMD
GLC-SX-MM
GLC-SX-MMD
GLC-EX-SMD1
GLC-ZX-SM
GLC-ZX-SMD
GLC-BX-D
GLC-BX-U
CWDM SFP
SFP-GE-S
SFP-GE-L
SFP-GE-T
SFP-GE-Z
DWDM SFP
DWDM SFP (add.)
GLC-BX40-D-I
GLC-BX40-DA-I
GLC-BX40-U-I
GLC-BX80-D-I
GLC-BX80-U-I

XE 3.7.1

XE 3.7.1

WS-C3850-48XS-S
WS-C3850-48XS-E
WS-C3850-48XS-F-S
WS-C3850-48XS-F-E
WS-C3850-48XS

GLC-T (10/100/1000)
GLC-LH-SM
GLC-LH-SMD
GLC-SX-MM
GLC-SX-MMD
GLC-EX-SMD1
GLC-ZX-SM
GLC-ZX-SMD
GLC-BX-D
GLC-BX-U
CWDM SFP
SFP-GE-S
SFP-GE-L
SFP-GE-T
SFP-GE-Z
DWDM SFP
DWDM SFP (add.)
GLC-BX40-D-I
GLC-BX40-DA-I
GLC-BX40-U-I
GLC-BX80-D-I
GLC-BX80-U-I

XE 3.7.2

XE 3.7.2

Hope it is useful

:-)

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I believe others have already answered, but a SFP+ port supports either gig or 10g, which is actually used, gig or 10g, depends on whether a gig or 10g transceiver is used in the port.

So on that switch you can have any combination of gig or 10g for its 12 ports.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card