cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Catalyst 4500X VSS Stack

PStone
Level 1
Level 1

I have two Cisco Catalyst 4500x VSS configured, so they are working as one.

Recently, my site had a power outage and only one switch came back online.

I have light status on all LED's besides the actually Ports.

I was able to access the online Secondary switch ( Not really a secondary, works in tangent) remotely, and noticed that my primary switch is not reporting in.

I was able to get services restored by re-configuring my "Secondary Switch or Switch 2".

Before I started to Remove power again from the Primary for troubleshooting, I wanted to check to see if the Catalyst worked in a Master, Slave Configuration?

Also, Since both Switches have a run to core switch, If i power cycle the Primary, will that affect services passing through my secondary switch since they are stacked?

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Before I started to Remove power again from the Primary for troubleshooting, I wanted to check to see if the Catalyst worked in a Master, Slave Configuration?

It is not a mater/slave configuration because, with VSS, both switches can forward traffic. When we talk about primary and backup, that is only for management purposes and not data forwarding.  So, by default switch-1 is the primary, and switch-2 is backup. If everything is back to normal and switch-1 is the primary and if all your devices are connected to both VSS switches if you power cycle the primary, it should not affect your services. That said, I would do this test during off-hours. Also, check all your configs and do all the show commands to make sure you are not missing anything after that power outage.

show redundancy

show switch

show switch virtual

show switch ?

and so on...

HTH

Thank you for that information. Once I have additional inquires, I will reply to this chain.

Thank you again
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card