Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco CBS220 unable to add VLAN IP

Haikaz
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all hoping someone can assist me....

I just purchased a Cisco Business 220 Series 16 port switch.  I'm trying to do some basic configs via GUI.  I created few VLANs and all I wish to do now is to add IPs to them.  But for whatever reason when I select IP Configuration on the GUI there is nowhere for me to add new IP and assign to the created VLANs.  It's just a IPv4 Interface screen for the management VLAN only.  I can't get past this screen to save my life and I have no idea what I'm doing wrong (please see attached picture).

Any insight or assistance on this will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Haik

4 Replies 4

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Not possible , an SVI (Vlan)  routed interface can only be done if the device supports routing  , 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Haikaz
Level 1
Level 1

Wow I did not know this during purchase!  So what is the point of even offering VLAN config for this switch?  Perhaps I should have read more documention so is this considered a Layer 2 switch ?  My final question which I belive I have the answer for already does this mean I have to individually assign static IPs to each port?

Thank you!

- From this page https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/switches/business-220-series-smart-switches/models-comparison.html , you can see that the CBS220 series are L2 devices and do not support routing , vlans remain useful for network segmentation , you can not assign an IP address to a layer 2 port. Checkout https://community.cisco.com/t5/small-business-online-device-emulators/bd-p/911-discussions-online-device-emulators , where you can discover and or test different features between models in de small business product range , 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

b00158374
Level 1
Level 1

you can configure inter-VLAN routing using a combination of a Layer 2 switch and a router. This setup is commonly known as a router-on-a-stick configuration. Here's how it works:

1. VLAN Configuration on the Switch: Configure VLANs on the Layer 2 switch and assign specific ports to each VLAN. Each VLAN will represent a different network segment.

2. Trunk Link between Switch and Router: Connect the Layer 2 switch to the router using a trunk link. A trunk link allows multiple VLANs to pass through a single physical link. On the switch port connected to the router, configure it as a trunk port to carry traffic from multiple VLANs.

3. Subinterfaces on the Router: On the router, create subinterfaces on the router interface connected to the switch. Each subinterface corresponds to a VLAN and is configured with an IP address in the respective VLAN subnet.

4. Routing Configuration: Configure the router to perform inter-VLAN routing. This involves setting up routing between the subinterfaces, enabling routing protocols (if necessary), and configuring any access control lists (ACLs) or other routing policies.

5. Default Gateway Configuration: Ensure that devices in each VLAN have their default gateway set to the IP address of the router's subinterface in their respective VLAN. This allows them to communicate with devices in other VLANs via the router.

With this setup, traffic between devices in different VLANs will be routed through the router via the trunk link on the Layer 2 switch. The router acts as the gateway between VLANs, facilitating inter-VLAN communication while providing routing and security services.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card