Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco devices interface

aaa aaa
Level 1
Level 1

hello,

my question is how do i know the cable that connected to the device interface using cisco commands.

which it could be used to figure out if the user does use wrong cable to connect two devices.

thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Not that i am personally aware off to tell the diff between crossover and staright , usually check the pin out put before connecting them or rely on MDIX to resolve it if wrong , for serial thats a different physical connection altogether so they shouldnt ever be confusing that with copper rj45  

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

thanks for your answer. but it does not work to find the type of the cable that connected to the interface

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi one way check the actual interface look for the below medai type so you know by the output T its a GLC-T whihc is copper based so you will have an ethernet cable connected and you can match it in show inventory

GigabitEthernet0/0/2 is up, line protocol is up
  Hardware is ISR4331-3x1GE, address is cc5a.53ad.6a65 (bia cc5a.53ad.6a65)
  Description: 
  MTU 1500 bytes, BW 1000000 Kbit/sec, DLY 10 usec,
     reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255
  Encapsulation 802.1Q Virtual LAN, Vlan ID  1., loopback not set
  Keepalive not supported
  Full Duplex, 1000Mbps, link type is auto, media type is T

sh inven then confirms

NAME: "subslot 0/0 transceiver 2", DESCR: "GE T"
PID: ABCU-5710RZ-CS4   , VID: B2  , SN:

or fibre should show another type like below

=#sh int g0/0/1
GigabitEthernet0/0/1 is up, line protocol is up
  Hardware is BUILT-IN-2T+6X1GE, address is 00fe.c830.0b03 (bia 00fe.c830.0b03)
  Description
  Internet address is 195.89.101.10/30
  MTU 1500 bytes, BW 1000000 Kbit/sec, DLY 10 usec,
     reliability 255/255, txload 4/255, rxload 14/255
  Encapsulation ARPA, loopback not set
  Keepalive not supported
  Full Duplex, 1000Mbps, link type is force-up, media type is LX

NAME: "subslot 0/0 transceiver 3", DESCR: "GE LX"
PID: GLC-LH-SMD          , VID: 002 , SN:

If you want to get more details you could also check sh int transciever on some routers

should match each end really

thanks for your answer. however i mean how do i know if it is crossover, straight through, or serial cable using cisco commands (type of the cable)

@aaa aaa wrote:
thanks for your answer. however i mean how do i know if it is crossover, straight through, or serial cable using cisco commands

The output to the "sh interface <BLAH>" will help determine if the port is serial, copper or other.  To determine whether the copper port is straight-through or cross-over, you'll need to run a TDR test.

I mean, think about it.  If the command is "sh interface FastEthernet 0", does this actually mean the port is a Serial interface or not?

How about "sh interface atm0/0"?  

TDR test does work only for routers what about switches, hup, etc.

@aaa aaa wrote:
TDR test does work only for routers what about switches, hup, etc.

Uhhh, no.  TDR does not work on Cisco routers.  TDR only works on some Cisco switches.  Hub?  LOL.  Let me know if there is a US$10 hub and supports TDR functionality.  

shouldnt matter if its staright through or crossover anymore bteween switches/routers  as anything new in the last few years all have mdix support included

still some devices does not accept that

yes that's what i mean if for ex. iam going to sh int fa0/1 on switch and it connected to router on fa interface the cable supose to be striaght through what is there is no connection and by mistake the user does change the cable to crossover ?

@aaa aaa wrote:
yes that's what i mean if for ex. iam going to sh int fa0/1 on switch and it connected to router on fa interface the cable supose to be striaght through what is there is no connection and by mistake the user does change the cable to crossover ?

Cisco routers and switches support MDI/MDI-X by default.  If this feature is left enabled, then this wouldn't be a problem, would it?

Colour code your cables too , our crossovers are red , straight throughs are grey thats a basic way to manage user mistakes if they dont know there basic cables before putting them in

what you mean is that there is no way to know the type of cable through cisco commands

Not that i am personally aware off to tell the diff between crossover and staright , usually check the pin out put before connecting them or rely on MDIX to resolve it if wrong , for serial thats a different physical connection altogether so they shouldnt ever be confusing that with copper rj45  

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: