Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco IOS 15 - no neighbor <x.x.x.x/x.x.x.x::x> activation

aghufran
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We have a setup where iBGP peers have IPv4/6/VPNv4 address-family peerings. In order to decommission it, I wanted to take the approach to de-activate individual af peerings. However found recommendations against doing that due to the potential danger of getting the entire neighbor specific configuration removed from the entire bgp process. So under the recommendation entire neighbor configuration (for other AFs) could also get removed if the peering was being de-activated under a single AF. This would make it difficult for a timely and orderly rollback if needed. The approach which then was left was to shutdown the neighbor under the bgp (general no-AF) process. With this approach however, when neighbor <IPv4> is shutdown, that would disable the peering sessions for both IPv4 and VPNV4 at the same time.

When tested in lab (Virl) using Cisco IOS 15 code, I found that de-activating individual AF peering session did not disable or remove the peering configuration for the rest of the AFs. I am still going to take the safer approach of shutting down the neighbor but wanted to find out if there is any clarity on this issue and if anyone has successfully tried de-activation approach for individual AF without affecting other AFs.

Thanks and regards,

Abid Ghufran 

1 Reply 1

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi
I haven't tested this on v15 but i have seen in the past if you deactivate a neighbor it can remove route-maps etc associated with the neighbor when part of an AF , i would as you say play it safe and use the shut down command thats recommended

from the doc
The use of the no form of the neighbor activate command will remove all configurations associated with the neighbor both inside and outside address family configuration mode. This command is not the same as the neighbor shutdown command, and you should not use this command to disconnect a BGP adjacency.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/iproute_bgp/command/iproute_bgp-xe-3se-3850-cr-book/iproute_bgp-xe-3se-3850-cr-book_chapter_010.html#wp9887904930
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card