Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Modem Firmware (HWIC) upgrade Process

HI experts, 

I need to upgrade firmware of my LTE ( Hwic) module for the router 2901. I am wondering if this is the part of IOS upgrade process , I mean ones I upgrade IOS to the latest version will it upgrade my modem firmware by own or I need to upgrade LTE modem separately?

can you guys please share your experience here?

any docs on this please?

Thanks!

5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

The LTE module is part of main Cisco IOS you load into the router.  Once you upgrade the IOS, it also applies to the module.

ntegrated 4G LTE WWAN broadband: With the 4G LTE WWAN modem integrated into the router, you gain the benefits of simplified installation and management. In addition, the Cisco 4G LTE WWAN EHWICs are tightly integrated with Cisco ISRs, which run the industry-leading Cisco IOS® Software, giving access to all the advanced features of Cisco IOS Software such as quality of service (QoS), intelligent network queuing, and robust security.

Link:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/interfaces-modules/4g-lte-wireless-wan-enhanced-high-speed-wan-interface-card/datasheet_c78-710314.html

HTH

HI thanks for your reply.

In below document its saying to upgrade the firmware manully, can you please confirm this:-

http://www.cisco.com/web/software/284285628/101593/Cisco_LTE_Firmware_Upgrade_MC7750_Verizon_no_819_v6.pdf

I have already downloaded recent IOS image for my router, I am wondering if I need to download firmware image also. if not, the do I need to run any special command to activate this HWIC module using new image, or simple IOS upgrade process will help to upgrade HWIC module as well.

I look forward for you reply and thanks in advance.

since this is 2901 series router I assume that Modem should be upgraded as a part of IOS, also with current flash if I run show flash i couldn't see any spcific image for HWIC module which somehow confirms that ISR router  IOS has got inbuilt images for its  module.

with this assumption - I wil be making changes to my router. I will let you guys know about the outcome.

Thanks!

Hi,

It depends. If we talk about integrated 4G LTE modem, the IOS upgrade may help to update the modem firmware. however Cisco ISR router supports vendor specific and region specific HWIC cards. for example- Sierra Wireless MC7700, MC7710 and MC7750 such modems have to be manually upgraded to latest available firmware after the IOS upgrade.

refer this link for Sierra Wireless modem upgrade:-

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/access/interfaces/software/feature/guide/EHWIC-4G-LTESW.html#pgfId-1335537

Thanks.

I have been clarified that even for the routers with integrated modems (such as Cisco 880G and 890G Series) also the firmware to be upgraded manually.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card