Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Nexus 3548 boots wrong image

jlear0001
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I am still new to the switch/networking world, so if something seems 101A to you, enlighten me.

We have this switch and everytime we have a power outage or need to reboot it, it boots the default "loader" (nothing working) image. In order to get it working, I have to boot the kickstart image, then I have to load the image we save on. Is this a normal procedure for a switch like this? Is there a way to boot the image we save to by default?

7 Replies 7

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

That is not normal. Can you post the output of "sh boot"?

HTH

SHADE-10G# sh boot
Current Boot Variables:

kickstart variable not set
system variable = bootflash:/n3500-uk9.6.0.2.A7.2.bin
Boot POAP Disabled

Boot Variables on next reload:

system variable = bootflash:/n3500-uk9.6.0.2.A7.2.bin
Boot POAP Disabled

So, can you set the boot variable for the kickstart image by using command:

boot kickstart bootflash:/n3500-uk9.6.0.2.A7.2.bin

And than save and reboot?

HTH

I did something very similar to that the other day and it didn't change anything. The code I ran was:
boot system bootflash:/image.version.X.Y.Z.bin (edited to the image we save to, not the kickstart)
copy running-config startup-config

As I mentioned, I am still new to switches; but is what you said what I did or is it different?

To add onto that, unfortunately we can't reboot; our production environment is live. Plus, this is one of our core switches, so we won't actually know (for sure) that it works until our power goes out.

boot system bootflash:/image.version.X.Y.Z.bin

Is for the system image. You also need to set the kickstart image.

To add onto that, unfortunately we can't reboot; our production environment is live. Plus, this is one of our core switches, so we won't actually know (for sure) that it works until our power goes out.

I completely understand that.  You would need to do it in a maintenance window or just wait for the next power outage.

HTH

So the kickstart image needs to load in order for the working image to boot? Please correct me if I'm not understanding this right.

boot system bootflash:/image.kickstart.version.X.Y.Z.bin

boot system bootflash:/image.version.X.Y.Z.bin

copy running-config startup-config

Is this correct?

Reza, is this correct?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card