cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Nexus 9372TX Switch

utawakevou
Level 4
Level 4

Got two of these running Cisco NX-OS Release 6.1(2)I3(3a). I just need pointers to configuration examples and notes before I actually set it up on test and deploying it to live environment. We will just use it as layer 2 for now and might use it for layer 3 later

regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I would recommend to replace HP and 3750's at all, becuase N9k can do both switching and routing, just configure it as vPC pair. You can use static routing out-of-the box, but if you OSPF or another dynamic protocol, you need a separate license for it. However, there i grace period for this feature, so you can try.

The final topology may look like in the picture. Note, that you can connect your servers either using failover links or port-channel.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

dukenuk96
Level 3
Level 3

Hello!

1. Use configuration synchronization feature for every possible thing right after basic setup
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5000/sw/operations/n5k_config_sync_ops.html

2. Set them up as vPC pair
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/nexus-5000-series-switches/configuration_guide_c07-543563.html

3. Understand the difference - "two Nexuses are equal to one logical switch and two logical routers"
http://bradhedlund.com/2010/12/16/routing-over-nexus-7000-vpc-peer-link-yes-and-no/
this link is about N7k, but gives good overview for all NX's operations

4. Use them as L3 devices right now, later it would be hard to migrate. Quick how-to - create VLAN interfaces, make them HSRP capable, enjoy.

5. Avoid using VLAN 1 and native VLANs on trunk links between this pair of NX's and between any switches

It would be better if you will show final topology - what are you going to implement.

Thanks for the reply. We currently have a stacked Cisco 3750 as our core/access switch which provides connectivity to our ESXi servers and our storage. We have a separate L3 device (HP) doing core routing. This new nexus box will have to replace the 3750's with Nimble storage connectivity as well replacing our current storage. Haven't  got a final topology at the moment and if possible i will be really helpful if someone suggest one with the current equipment's we have. Might have to ditch the HP L3 switch and use either the Nexus or the 3750. Suggestions are welcome

Thanks

I would recommend to replace HP and 3750's at all, becuase N9k can do both switching and routing, just configure it as vPC pair. You can use static routing out-of-the box, but if you OSPF or another dynamic protocol, you need a separate license for it. However, there i grace period for this feature, so you can try.

The final topology may look like in the picture. Note, that you can connect your servers either using failover links or port-channel.

Thanks a lot. This is very helpful.

I got this when I run the show license usage command

Feature Ins Lic Status Expiry Date Comments
Count
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LAN_ENTERPRISE_SERVICES_PKG No - Unused -
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Licensing guide shows that this package can run OSPF. Did enable the OSPF feature as well

Thank everyone for your contribution. I manage to get this one out sorted. 

We are using OSPF. Do you mean the current version that came with it doesn't support OSPF ? This is the version we have -  Cisco NX-OS Release 6.1(2)I3(3a)

We've got few C93128TX around and they require "Enterprise service package" for OSPF.It should be same for you as well

Static routes,SVIs and HSRP should be supported as it is

***Please rate all the useful posts***
-Prabath

This version supports OSPF, but requires additional license to use it. Again - you can enable and use OSPF for a grace period, without the license. To tell the truth, I did not test what will happen after grace period.

utawakevou
Level 4
Level 4

This is will be my physical topology and I have started configuring vPC and can see that its up and running. Do I have to configure another vpc domain on the Nexus for the connectivity to my stacked cisco 3750 ? Or I just configure the normal port channel configuration for the ports that'll link it to the 3750. We have all  our esxi host are on the 3750 and we are going to move them one by one over to the Nexus box. 

Any help will be really apprecaited

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card