Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Packet Tracer XYZ University Network Topology Diagram

safirzawad
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have been trying to solve this project that was provided in my course.I am rather confused as to how to correctly construct my diagrams. I have googled how to configure ripv2, dhcp, vlan with vlsm and static routing. but I can't seem to draw the diagram. There router restrictions on my project, and I am very confused on how to approach this. If anyone can help me with drawing the diagram I can hopefully finish the rest. 

I tried everything and am still lost.

Here is the Project:

Project XYZ:

Network Requirements:

XYZ University has the following 5 departments.
1. IT
Consists of 50 hosts.
2. Accounts 20
Consists of 20 hosts.
3. Office of the Registrar
Consists of 50 hosts.
4. Faculty
Consists of 250 hosts.
5. Students
Consists of 2000 hosts.

Some things to keep in mind while designing the network:

Use routers/switches wherever required.
But the university cannot afford to have more than 3 routers. Each department should be a separate network.
Install at least 2 PC/Laptop for each individual network
All the departments should be able to communicate with each other.
One router (Border router) should have the connection to the ISP for the Internet. The Internet in this example consists of ONLY 3 servers i.e (Google, Youtube & Facebook)
RIPv2 routing protocol should be used between the internal routers and static routing with the ISP router.
The IT department maintains two servers, the web server and the email server.
Only the IT, Accounts and the Office of the Registrar are allowed access to all three sites.
Faculties can browse Youtube and Google Only.
Students can only access Google.
Students should not be able to access Accounts and IT departments.
Private IP used by the university is 172.16.0.0/12
The Faculty and Students department should get their IP through DHCP, but rest of the departments should have static addressing.
The ISP has allocated 10 public addresses for this university, 105.12.32.15 – 24/25. The last two addresses are statically allocated for the web server and email server at the IT department. So all private addresses allocated must be translated to public when accessing the Internet.

Deliverables:

The network mentioned above should be implemented in packet tracer, with necessary devices and full configuration.
After completion you should be able to test the conditions imposed.
As hardcopies, you will have to submit the network topology diagram with proper labels and also all the configurations of all the routers that you have implemented.

30 Replies 30

Hello,

I used version 7.2.2 0418. You need the same or a higher version in order to open the file...

Hello,

if you don't have the latest version I can send it to you. What is your email address ?

I found it. Thank you so much. I was using 7.2.1. 

I understood the subnetting and everything, but what commands did you use for the specific routing of each router and department. A basic format would be enough, I can fill everything in.

Hello,

on the routers, basically you enable RIPv2 and then just announce network 172.16.0.0. This includes all networks in your topology. On the border router, you 'redistribute static' into RIP, which redistributes the default static route configured on that router to the other two routers.

Border_Router

router rip

version 2

network 172.16.0.0

no auto-summary

redistribute static

!

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 105.12.32.100

Router_1

router rip

version 2

network 172.16.0.0

no auto-summary

Router_2

router rip

version 2

network 172.16.0.0

no auto-summary

Thank you so much. Also how did you set the DHCP in Router 2?

Hello,

basically, the router itself is the DHCP server. Check for the lines:

ip dhcp excluded address --> this should exclude the IP address of the default gateway from being assigned.

Then the below defines your address pool and the default gateway.

ip dhcp pool

network

default-gateway

How do I check the lines? I am trying to recreate and learn along the way. Sorry for asking such silly questions. :(

Oh I got it

I would also like to know how you setup the ISP.

Hello,

what I meant was: check the running configuration of Router_2 for the lines that define the DHCP. These are the lines you are looking for:

ip dhcp excluded-address 172.16.8.1
ip dhcp excluded-address 172.16.0.1
!
ip dhcp pool VLAN40
network 172.16.8.0 255.255.255.0
default-router 172.16.8.1

!
ip dhcp pool VLAN50
network 172.16.0.0 255.255.248.0
default-router 172.16.0.1

The IP addresses of the 'default-router' correspond to the IP addresses configured on the FastEthernet interfaces.

Setting up the ISP just means connecting the Border_Router to something external. Your requirments did not specify how exactly the ISP should be set p.

Thank you so much.

Hello ,Could you please help me how to approach this problem statement.

Problem Statement

Networking

Problem Statement: Packet Flow Visualizer. 

The main objective of this project is to create a visual representation of the packet flow from students' laptops/desktops (hosts) to external network outside of the college campus .The project can be divided into two key parts, as outlined below

Network Topology Creation: To begin, students will need to determine the devices present within the college network, They can achieve this by using tools like traceroute or by consulting with the college network administrator. Based on the gathered information, students will then create a network Topology using Cisco Packet Tracer (available at https://www.netacad.com/courses/packet-tracer). The topology will ilustrate the various network devices network design, and network boundaries, as explained in the Network Essential course showcasing the path from the host to the external network.

Packet Flow Investigation: After establishing the network topology using Cisco Packet Tracer and configuring IPv4 addresses on all layer-3 devices, students will proceed to collect packets at each device using a packet sniffer. They can choose to use either the inbuilt sniffer in Cisco Packet Tracer (tutorial available at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCSKOAVT2M) or a tool like Wireshark. By analyzing the packets captured from different devices (nodes) students can extract relevant information from the packet headers, particularly noting changes occurring in the Ethernet and IP headers. This data will enable them to create a flow diagram illustrating the path of the packet flow from their device (host) to the external network. Any flow chart creator application can be used to create this diagram.

Expected Outcome: Upon completion of the packet inspection and header analysis at each node, students should be able to demonstrate the following:A clear understanding of different blocks of network design.Familiarity with the different OSI model layers and the importance of layering. They should also comprehend the relationship between the layers andthe metadata carried in each layer's packet header, A comprehensive understanding of the roles of various devices in a network. They should be able to distinguish the role of a router (1.3 device) fromthat of a switch (L2 device).

Design and build a small business network on a diagram. The diagram must show the
computers, Internet connection, and physical layer items (e.g. wires, switches, routers, and
IP printers. The diagram should be an original drawing done by you using a cisco packet
tracer. You must choose the IPv4 addressing scheme to accommodate an office network
that has sales, service, and management division. The sales department needs 10 hosts, and
administration needs 10 hosts, service department requires 10 hosts and 1 central network
printer. 
 Describe all the commands and end devices configuration that used for the network
diagram. For each part of the network, as shown in your diagram, write a few paragraphs
describing the part.
 What are the possible recent network security threats for such a business network? To enhance the security, configure the switches and routers device hardening features and
discuss all the steps.

RP372AHK
Level 1
Level 1

Can you help for this project

Scenario for Packet Tracer Project

This ABC College is about designing a topology of a network that is a LAN (Local Area Network) for a College in which various computers of different departments are set up so that they can interact and communicate with each other by interchanging data. To design a networking scenario for a college which connect 5 different departments to each other’s, it puts forward communication among 5 different departments. College is used to design a systematic and well planned topology, satisfying all the necessities of the college. The following features are must include in the network.

• 5 Switches  
  • 5 Router  
  • 5 Computer Systems for each department
  • Cross over cable
  • Straight through cable
  • Class C IP Addressing
  • DHCP Configuration
  • Vlan Configuration
  • RIP configuration
  • OSPF configuration
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card