cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco QSFP-40G-SR-BD Breakout

MonEntropy
Level 1
Level 1

I want to configure a 10G uplink from a C9300-48U-E (stack) with the C9300-NM-8X (8x10Gb module) to the QSFP port on a Nexus N9K-C9348GC-FXP (40G). I have the QSFP-40G-SR-BD plugged in and did the module breakout, but I don't see where I can tie the 10g uplink to one of the 4 breakout interfaces from the Nexus.

Is this even a supported scenario? Or will I need to go with QSFP module for the Catalyst?

1 Accepted Solution
7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Question:  Why not get a C9300-NM-2Q instead?

Yes - that was the first route, it's on order, but the lead time on the part is beyond the requirements.

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Once you convert a 40Gig to 4 10Gig, there is naming convention depending on the module you are using. Should be:

Ethernet slot/front panel port/breakout port

see page 9 in this document:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus9000/sw/93x/interfaces/configuration/guide/b-cisco-nexus-9000-nx-os-interfaces-configuration-guide-93x.pdf

Ethernet //. For example, per-port level breakout ports can be identified as Ethernet 1/2/1, Ethernet 1/2/2, Ethernet 1/2/3, and Ethernet 1/2/4.

That is true - While it does break it out to the 4 interfaces on the Nexus side and I can see them all (and I enabled all of them just to make sure that something had light going through) - I still wasn't able to get a connection with the SFP interface on the Catalyst. I subsequently tried it with the quad breakout AOC cable and that worked like a charm.

Could it be that the QSFP (that has LC fiber connection) to 10G single SFP just isn't an option? 

And from the link provided earlier by MHM Cisco World, "Also, some transceivers like the QSFP-100G-SR-BD and QSFP-40G-SR-BD don’t have breakout capability..." So... I guess that's my answer.

Could it be that the QSFP (that has LC fiber connection) to 10G single SFP just isn't an option? 

Could be, because BD is a Cisco propriety optic and used to be available on the Nexus platforms only, but now it can work on Catalyst as well.

Good Luck!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card