Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco REP support on a C9300

Luca.M
Level 1
Level 1

hi all

I'm about to order a Catalyst 9300 (C9300-24T). I need the REP technology. I have read datasheet and ordering guide, REP is supported in the most recent IOS, but there are no informations about the software purchase. Is it supported in the "network essentials" version or "network advantage" is needed?

Best regards

Luca

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

First I note that the article you quote says "REP is supported on Catalyst switches running the Network Essentials license.".

The version it references, 16.5.1a, doesn't show as available when I check the software centre or use the Feature Navigator.

I'm not saying it wont work - just that I can't find any supporting information that it is currently available and shipping.

Once again, I strongly recommend you reach out to your nearest Cisco contact and have this validated before spending your money.

View solution in original post

On a side note, I googled around because I wasn't aware of this feature, and according to the document below (page 1, REP Overview):

REP is supported on Catalyst switches running the Network Essentials license.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst9300/software/release/16-5/configuration_guide/lyr2_lyr3/b_165_lyr2_lyr3_9300_cg/b_165_lyr2_lyr3_9300_9500_cg_chapter_0100.pdf

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Don't just read the Data Sheet. Read the Release Notes because it will state what features are supported in each version.

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The Feature Navigator does not list this as a feature (in any edition).

The release notes don't mention it.

It does appear in the configuration guide.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst9300/software/release/16-5/command_reference/b_165_9300_cr/b_165_9300_cr_chapter_0111.html#wp2728576470

Sometimes Cisco talk about features that haven't been released, and sometimes they are not released for a long time.

I would check with a local Cisco REP that this feature exists and is currently available.

This is a bad sign also.  When you look at the config guide it lists the version each command was released in.  For the REP commands the "Release" version is shown as - missing.

Command History

Release

Modification

This command was introduced

hi Philip,

many thanks for your help. I noticed that the technnology is supported by the IOS, i'm concerned about the "license level". I can't find specific information about REP, it says just that:

Network Essentials—This license level covers essential switch capabilities, such as, full layer 2 access and certain routed access capabilities.

Network Advantage—This license level includes complete Layer 3 access and core capabilities including advanced routing, multicast, segmentation, security and high availability features. It is inclusive of features available with a Network Essentials license.

AS REP is a layer 2 technology i think the Network Essentials level can be fine, but I'm not sure :)

best regards

Luca

You are asking about a feature that is currently not present or available. You need to contact a Cisco rep to find out when it might be released. You may not be able to use the 9300 platform if it is not going to support REP inside of the time frame you need it.

First I note that the article you quote says "REP is supported on Catalyst switches running the Network Essentials license.".

The version it references, 16.5.1a, doesn't show as available when I check the software centre or use the Feature Navigator.

I'm not saying it wont work - just that I can't find any supporting information that it is currently available and shipping.

Once again, I strongly recommend you reach out to your nearest Cisco contact and have this validated before spending your money.

On a side note, I googled around because I wasn't aware of this feature, and according to the document below (page 1, REP Overview):

REP is supported on Catalyst switches running the Network Essentials license.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst9300/software/release/16-5/configuration_guide/lyr2_lyr3/b_165_lyr2_lyr3_9300_cg/b_165_lyr2_lyr3_9300_9500_cg_chapter_0100.pdf

Hi Georg,

this is a very important information: thanks!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card