Views
Helpful
Replies

CISCO Router fiber connection

newIntern
Level 1
Level 1

Hello.

I'm looking for a cisco router to authenticate the internet provider and that allows fiber optic communication. Those are the only two really important features for the project. What do you recommend me?

Thank you.provider.png

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello

Checkout meraki mx , fw & rtr in one - Cisco meraki mx

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

what kind of throughput here ?

Cisco have many line of Routers - small to big level.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/routers/branch-routers/index.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Thanks for your response.
Sorry for only responding now.

The throughput is 100 Mbps.

I did some research and saw for example Cisco Catalyst 8200 Series Edge Platform. They have at least 2 such interfaces. However, I don't want to spend a lot of money on equipment that would be restricted to the function described in the post.

Any suggestions?

Hello,

any router with an SFP for a fiber optic connection will do. What do you mean exactly by 'authentication' ? All router support PPP/PAP/CHAP (if that is what you mean).

Have a look at the ISR 1100 routers:

--> All 1100-8P and 1100-4P platforms model have one 10/100/1000 Ethernet port that can support Small Form-Factor Pluggable (SFP)-based connectivity in addition to RJ-45 connections, enabling fiber or copper connectivity.

Here is the link to the data sheet:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/1000-series-integrated-services-routers-isr/datasheet-c78-739512.html

Thanks for your response.
Sorry for only responding now. I went to see the specifications of this series of routers from CISCO and saw that they only have one sfp interface. The router I need would have to have at least two sfp interfaces. I did some research and saw for example Cisco Catalyst 8200 Series Edge Platform. They have at least 2 such interfaces. However, I don't want to spend a lot of money on equipment that would be restricted to the function described in the post. Are there any cheaper suggestions?

Hello,

how much money are you willing to spend ?

Around US$ 3000.

But you can suggest of any price and I will evaluate the pros and cons.

Hello,

tough one. I looked around, a lot, but could not really find a Cisco dual SFP WAN router.

The only one (not Cisco), for a decent price,  I could find was this one:

https://www.tp-link.com/nl/business-networking/omada-sdn-router/er8411/

Hello

Checkout meraki mx , fw & rtr in one - Cisco meraki mx

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card