cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco serial cable

aaron.cowell.au
Level 1
Level 1

I have been studing for my CCNA and have been doing some labs and video tutorials. But am having a problem understanding connections. Manily it is how to connect cisco routers. I thought that the fastest way to connect two routers was to connect the two or more routers with cisco serial cables instead of gigabit ethernet cabels. As this would allow for more speed, between the routers. What is the fast connection speed of a cisco serial cable compared to a gigabit ethernet cable? What plug ends to you get for serial cables and what is the maximum length of the cable?

2 Replies 2

Latchum Naidu
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Ethernet cable should be the best option if you want to connect two routers directly,because serial cable has a speed of 1.5 MBPS while ethernet cable has a speed of 10to 100 MPBS and more.

And Gigabit Ethernet provides an even higher level of backbone support at 1000 megabits per second (1 gigabit or 1 billion bits per second). 10-Gigabit Ethernet provides up to 10 billion bits per second.

Please rate the helpfull posts.
Regards,
Naidu.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The    Author of this posting offers the information contained within this    posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that    there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any  purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and  should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind.  Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In    no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever  (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or  profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's  information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such  damage.

Posting

Serial cable speed depends on the serial interface.  I think a T1/E1 serial port might physically support up to 4 Mbps for back-to-back.  The higher-speed serials interfaces (HSSI) that support T3/E3 will support up to 52 Mbps.  Other non-Ethernet optical ports can reach up to 100 gig.

PS:

Plug ends depends on the interface.  There sometimes different plugs for the same physical interface type.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco