Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco SG300 with multiple VLAN's

permalldnit
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We have just moved an office to a new location and we have limited network ports. We currently run 2 VLANs in the office 240 for Data and 245 for Voice. I have one room with 8 users and only 2 network ports but I need to get 8 connections for the PC's (VLAN 240) and 8 connections for the phones (VLAN 245). All our offices run the PC network connection through the Cisco Handsets (7975's) so we have purchased a Cisco SG300 managed switch.

However, I don't seem to be able to add both VLAN's to all the ports. For example ports 1 - 8 I want to have VLAN 240 and 245 and then on port 9 I have the Trunk port back to the main switchcore which is a new Cisco 3850 3 switch stack.

Is it possible to have 2 VLAN's on a port or will I have to make ports 1 - 4 VLAN 240 and ports 5 - 8 VLAN 245 and run separate cables to the PC's and Phones?

Thanks,

Glenn

1 Accepted Solution
2 Replies 2

georgehewittuk1
Level 1
Level 1

This is where voice VLANs are used. It is effectively a trunk port but you configure the port as an access port with the data vlan and with a switchport voice vlan [vlan id].

You should be able to verify this on your show interface [interfae] switchport. Your phone on the voice vlan should be able to reach your DHCP server for voice vlan pool.

Also I would advise making a etherchannel port if possible for load to your core switch. Also for QoS maybe of interest this thread - https://community.cisco.com/t5/small-business-switches/sg300-28p-qos-setup/td-p/2470405

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card