cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Stack etherchannel connection to Nortel Switch

sdemediuk
Level 1
Level 1

I am currently investigating some improvements for our blade centres and I was wondering if it was possible to connect via an EtherChannel a Nortel 6x Layer 2/3 Copper and Fiber GB Ethernet Switch Module, to a Cisco Stacked Switch consisting of 2 Catalyst 3750 switches.

Essentially I want the same setup as the CrossStack EtherChannel example

(http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_configuration_example09186a00806cb982.shtml )

but with a Nortel Switch instead of the Cisco switch.

Is this possible? Can anyone please point me in the direction of some documentation or example that might help me? I want to get a rough idea of what I am doing first before I go and break everything. Any help would be most appreciated. I have attached a simple picture to hopefully help describe the setup.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Simon,

To be sure, it would require some testing, but as long as you are running 12.2(25) or later on the 3750s and the Nortel device supports LACP you should be fine.  Since LACP is a standard protocol most venders support it.

HTH

Reza

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Simon,

To be sure, it would require some testing, but as long as you are running 12.2(25) or later on the 3750s and the Nortel device supports LACP you should be fine.  Since LACP is a standard protocol most venders support it.

HTH

Reza

Thank you for your response. I can easily upgrade the switch's to be running 12.2(25). But is there an easy way to determine if the Nortel switch will support LACP, some sort of command, as i can not seem to find any documentation on the 32R1866 model anywhere.

I just found a document that states it supports the IEEE standard "static link aggregation (ether channel compatible)

Is this the same as LACP? If not will it still work?

You must use LACP (Link Aggregation Control Protocol)

LACP is IEEE standard

And what the Nortel device model you have, I can help you to configure it

This is the information i could gleam off the blade center about the switch.

Product Name    Nortel 6x Layer 2/3 Copper and Fiber GB Ethernet Switch Module

Description       Ethernet SM

Part Number      32R1866

FRU Number     32R1869

Any help programming the Nortel switch would be most appreciated as i only have experience with Cisco technologies. How different if the Nortel commands?

All I need it to do is form the etherchannel with the first 2 ports on the Nortel switch the other 4 ports I don't really care about. At the moment the switch is set to default for everything.

sdemediuk wrote:

I just found a document that states it supports the IEEE standard "static link aggregation (ether channel compatible)

Is this the same as LACP? If not will it still work?

Yes, that is the same as LACP.  Most venders support LACP, but you would still need to test it.  You may want to talk to your Nortel SE and see if you need a code upgrade or you could use the existing code.

Good Luck

Reza

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco