Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Switch 2960 Series unable to reset/configure

dacian.aluasiu1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello there,

I am not able to configure or to reset the switch,beside that,Tera Term is showing bad characters.

When I pushed the button from the Switch in order to reset,it happended nothing,most of the time the LED from SYS is blinking.

Thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

It says COM1:9600baud,but I can not do nothing,because it's showing only *&^%$#@?":

Change the baud rate to 921600 and see if the characters are readable or not.  If not, then change the baud rate 460800.  If not, change the baud rate to 380400.  If not, change the baud rate to 230400.  Keep changing the baud rate to the lower rate until you've either run out of options or until the characters are readable.

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Someone is playing a trick on you and has configured the console port's speed to be outside the default 9600.  

And is it possible to roll back this setting in order to be able to configure the switch?

Yes you can.  Change the baud rate of your console client, for example, from the highest and observe if the setting improves.  If not, then move the speed down a notch until you get it right.

I see,but how can I reset the BAUD rate,when Tera Term is showing only this characters: '":;,./?*&^%$#@???

When I push the MODE button nothing happenes!!!!

See attachment.

Thank you.

I see,but how can I reset the BAUD rate,when Tera Term is showing only this characters

Like I said before, you'll need to change the settings of the baud rate until you see readable characters.  

Start with one baud rate and see if it works.  If it doesn't, change the baud rate.  Observe.  Still don't work, then change the baud rate.  

And how?Which command should I use to see readable characters.

Thank you

And how?Which command should I use to see readable characters.

What is the current baud rate setting of TeraTerm?

It says COM1:9600baud,but I can not do nothing,because it's showing only *&^%$#@?":

Change the baud rate to 921600 and see if the characters are readable or not.  If not, then change the baud rate 460800.  If not, change the baud rate to 380400.  If not, change the baud rate to 230400.  Keep changing the baud rate to the lower rate until you've either run out of options or until the characters are readable.

Thank you Leo,it worked.

But now,how can I copy the new flash image,because the other one is corrupt.

I downloaded the proper one,c2960-lanbasek9-mz.150-2.SE8.bin,I am using 2960 Plus Series Cathalyst.

Please see Screenshots

Many thanks,I finally manged to transfer the image via tera Term successfully.

Now I'm able to configure the switch.

Glad to see you've got this working.  

Don't forget to reset the baud rate to default.

This discussion has been reposted from Cisco.com Idea Center to the LAN, Switching and Routing community.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card